Chapter Forty-Seven: Storm Scarred

The first whispers of the morning greeted Hazel's ears as she shifted her weight closer to Silus. The sickening thrashing of the eels had faded. Even the crash of the waves had calmed, and the dawn's birdsong steadily grew more prominent.

A cloudless, blemish free sky stared back at Hazel as she rested her head against Silus still oddly damp shoulder. Taking in a breath through her mouth, she did her best to ignore the aroma of iron and sweat. The consequences of the night's events were rapidly catching up to her muscles. The adrenaline that once roared in her ears had faded to a whisper, and the tremors that shook her had calmed over the past few hours, yet now her body started to throb with ache. She adjusted her tender limbs as delicately as she could manage, certain her skin would blossom with purple and blue bruises by sunrise. But despite her soreness and deepening exhaustion, she couldn't bring herself to sleep. Even with Silus's presence beside her but rest was the enemy. He had advised her to sleep multiple times, but she resisted, afraid of her dreams but terrified of her reality.

Kai, Ruby and Ethan were caught in between moments of restful and fitful sleep, clearly on edge even in their dreams. At times they would even flinch and tremble in their unconsciousness.

Hazel eyed Silus as she rested against him. He stared straight ahead, his body fixed and rigid like a statue resting on the beach, as he had done for hours. His breathing was calm, collected, but almost too still. Her scrutiny drifted from his face down his body and to his hand, clenched shut. Every so often, he would glare down at it, briefly opening it to assess the damage before closing it again and looking away.

Hazel let out a soft sigh. "If neither of us is going to sleep, we might as well deal with that," she said, gesturing toward Silus's fist.

Silus's deep voice was hoarse. "What are you going to do, stitch me up with some sticks and seaweed?"

Hazel pulled herself upright and searched his face. "Tempting as that idea is, you will have to settle for some girly pink bandages."

Silus let out air through his nose but didn't object. In the blue-tinted light of early morning, the coppery splashes that coated him were more visible. He was covered from the fine tips of his hair to the stiff toe of his boots, as if he had been caught in a crimson rainstorm.

"You really need to wash off too."

Silus sent her a fake look of offense. "Are you trying to tell me I stink?"

"Well, you don't smell like roses," The comment slipped from her lips before she could stop herself. She offered a sheepish squint into the morning haze. God, I hope everyone at home is still asleep, especially him.

Silus sent her a curious look before she recovered. "And you probably should wash off all the..." Hazel's tone grew serious, searching Silus's features for a brief second before she gestured to his clothing, "you know."

Silus dipped his head and took in his appearance before quietly responding, "Right." His expression grew detached, and she noticed a hint of a tremor returning to his arms.

Quickly, she stood up and pulled him with her. "Come on, let's go wash up. The eels have been silent for hours; they are probably full." She wanted to gag at the thought.

Silus allowed her to pull him to his feet. He paused and picked up his axe while she grabbed their backpack before making their way toward the ocean. They dumped their items on the shore and shed their shoes before moving into the biting tide. Each of them waded into the water until they were up to their stomachs and began to scrub their bodies in the briny sea.

As she scrubbed, Hazel's necklace bobbed against the skin of her chest, massaged by the tide. She ran a hand over the jewelry absentmindedly as she stared out at the horizon. The blackness of night continued to fade into a murky morning azure.