Chapter Four: In the Space Between

As the workday in the dense forest of District 7 drew to a close, Hazel, Silus, and Rowan, along with the rest of the lumberjacks, assembled at the designated pickup spot. They were ready to leave the deep, secluded parts of the forest behind, the dense canopy slowly receding as they prepared for the journey back to civilization.

The sturdy trucks that had ferried them up the mountain in the morning now awaited their return, their engines idling quietly. These vehicles, built for durability rather than comfort, creaked under the weight of the weary workers.

Hazel, Silus, and Rowan huddled inside the truck amidst their colleagues. The usual banter that filled these rides home was notably subdued, replaced by low murmurs and long periods of silence. The sense of unease was palpable.

As the truck began its descent, the winding path down the mountain offered a panoramic view of the forest they were leaving behind. The lush greenery, a mix of towering pines and sturdy oaks, stood as silent sentinels watching over them. Hazel gazed out of the truck, her eyes taking in the serene beauty of their surroundings. Yet, the tranquility of the forest seemed at odds with the turmoil within her.

The lumberjacks' faces, etched with the physical toll of their occupation, now bore a different kind of weariness. It was fatigue that stemmed not from physical exertion. The usual satisfaction of a day's hard work was overshadowed.

As the lumber truck descended the rugged path toward town, Rowan leaned slightly toward Hazel and Silus. Hazel smiled internally to herself. Since Rowan had turned fourteen, he rarely allowed her to hug him anymore. She remembered when he was a little toddler and begged her to hold his hand constantly. The memory warmed her heart, and she rested her head on his shoulder. The truck, filled with the day's fatigue and the workers' silent contemplations, moved steadily, its engine a constant backdrop to their thoughts.

Upon reaching the mill, the truck stopped, its engine quieting as it idled. With a metallic clang, the back door swung open, signaling the end of their journey. Hazel, Silus, and Rowan, along with the rest of the crew, stepped off the truck, their movements reflecting the day's toll.

Hazel stretched her arms, trying to ease the stiffness in her muscles. "Another exhilarating day in paradise, right?" she said, her voice laced with a hint of irony as she turned to her brothers.

Silus responded with a wry smile, wiping the sweat from his forehead. "Absolutely thrilling. Now off to the paper mill for another round of excitement." He had taken to working evening shifts at the paper mill, contributing extra income to support their family.

"I'm heading to the hospital," Hazel added, rolling her shoulders to release some tension. "I'll try to sneak in a few hours before the curfew. Maybe it'll be a quiet night with just minor splinters to deal with." Like Silus, Hazel had taken on additional work at the local hospital, aiding in whatever way she could, from cleaning linens to assisting the nursing staff with minor tasks.

Adjusting his backpack and preparing to leave, Rowan joined in their light-hearted exchange. "Well, while you two are off on your exciting adventures, I guess I'll be at home, keeping the twins and Sage entertained."

"Yeah, you got the short end of the stick there, Row," Hazel winked at him.

Hazel's attention was diverted to a scene unfolding at a distance. She observed an animated Foreman, Thron Pilner. His gestures and agitated demeanor indicated he was passionately recounting something.

Standing as a stark contrast to Thron's fervor was Oren, a figure of composed authority. Hazel noted her stepfather's imposing stature, his broad shoulders squared as he listened intently. His dark skin was weathered yet resilient, a testament to years of outdoor work, and his hair was closely cropped, adding to his no-nonsense appearance. The lines on his face, etched from years of responsibility as the Head of Lumber Distribution, spoke of his responsibility in managing the crucial task of overseeing District 7's lumber production and dispatch.