That was Totally the Look I was Going for

I slowly dragged myself out of bed and rubbed my eyes sleepily once my alarm went off.

After Devon dropped me off, my parents took me into the living room and lectured me for an hour on the world's most embarrassing topic before I mentioned that I had homework to do. I then spent an hour on a rough draft of an essay for English that wasn't due until next week, adding an extra two hours for the editing and final copy, so I wasn't able to sleep until three in the morning.

Looking through my entire closet, I decided that today would not be a good day for me to wear a dress. Instead, I opted for a pair of light blue jeans and a blue Doctor Who sweatshirt along with blue Converse high-tops. I shoved my stuff into my backpack and headed down stairs to the bathroom.

I quickly brushed my hair and decided to leave it down, only brushing any loose strands off to the side.

"You look terrible," my mom said when I entered the kitchen.

"Gee, thanks. That's totally the look I am going for right now," I said sarcastically, grabbing a piece of toast and taking a bite out of it.

"I'm just saying that you look tired," she said.

"Well, maybe if you didn't keep me up for an extra hour talking about a completely horrific topic, then maybe I would look well rested," I said.

"Caitlin, you need to know the details now that you finally going on dates," she said sternly.

"We ate Italian food," I said, throwing my hands in the air.

"I know that, but you know your dad. Very protective," she said and I laughed.

"It's just a topic I'm not comfortable with. Now, I'm going to leave before you bring it up again," I said, standing up and heading for the door, swinging my backpack over my shoulder.

"Morning," Devon said as I opened the door, causing me to jump back.

"You could knock first," I said, glaring at him.

"Sorry," he apologized, giving me a childish smile.

"What are you doing on my front porch?" I asked after a moment.

"Giving you a ride to school. That's what good boyfriends do," he said as though it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"You're my boyfriend?" I asked, completely thrown off my that title.

"Well, I'm not your girlfriend," he replied and I giggled.

"You are so weird," I said, hopping down the stairs towards Devon's car.

"I'm going to take that as a compliment," he said, unlocking the doors.

"So, we're a couple now?" I asked curiously.

"Only if you want us to be," he answered, keeping his eyes fixated on the road.

"Yes," I replied a little too quickly, causing him to chuckle.

"Then that settles it then," he said, gently taking my hand into his.

We drove the rest of the way to school in silence and made our way up to the lockers very quickly. I quickly threw all my books on the top shelf of my locker, leaving only my English books in my arms along with a pencil case.

"Why do you have an essay in your hand?" Devon asked, looking over my shoulder.

"Don't worry, it's not due until next week. I just like getting my assignments handed in early," I said, turning to face him.

"Look at you, little miss perfect handing her stuff in a week before it is due," he said causing me to glare at him.

"I am far from perfect, mister," I said, angrily poking his chest.