05

Sweet songs of symphony carved the air

Sweet songs of symphony carved the air. It was as if the birds at Vermina Castle were welcoming me home.

I had fallen into a deep slumber somewhere along the way and was awoken by warm arms that sought to carry me inside. I however became alert once I saw the enormous stone structure behind the gates. "The lady can walk." I heard the lord say from further away, which was when I realized the arms belonged to another.

"Yes my lord. She did not seem to have life." Answered the guard who then moved one step aside and provided me with a hand to maintain my balance as I walked down the steps of the carriage. My white dress blew in the wind that embraced me as my vision, once blurry from dreaming prior, cleared to take in the magnificent scenery.

Weathered by centuries of wind and weather, its ancient walls rose majestically against the the dark wintry landscape. Turrets capped with glistening icicles reached towards the heavens like the fingers of a slumbering giant. Massive oak doors adorned with intricate ironwork loomed before me like a gateway to another world, their polished surface reflecting the flickering torchlights that danced upon the snow.

I hugged myself in an attempt to fight the frigid night. Although the wind seemed to break at the castle's grandeur walls, I had reached a point where I could no longer control my shivering. "We must get you inside." Said the lord once he took notice of my state. Damp hair that clung to my face and skin that began to pale. I was sure my nails would snap and fall off at any second.

In gleaming suits of armor the castle guards approached hastily on their horses. With a nod of recognition, they stepped aside to allow us passage.

How quickly life can change.

When we stepped into the warmth of the castle's interior the air was thick with the scent of woodsmoke and hearthfire, banishing the chill that clung to my cloak.

Lord Beaumont turned to one of his trusted servants, a seasoned chamberlain who stood nearby awaiting his command. "Fetch the bath for the lady and prepare it in the solar, ensure that it is warmed to her liking."

The chamberlain bowed deeply in acknowledgment before running off to carry out his lord's bidding.

Then dark eyes met mine once more. His voice softened. I noticed he only kept that tone with me. "You must be weary from your journey. A war is no place for a young woman. One of my maiden's will escort you to your bath where you may rest and refresh yourself at your leisure. Then we will eat."

"I cannot thank you enough." I kept my head down respectfully and followed the woman down the halls, the echo of his footsteps fading into the distance. It pained me to see him depart, his every movement of quiet authority stirred something deep within me. No doubt he had retreated into another room to attend to matters of importance after devoting nearly half a day to my care.

I was grateful but even amidst the splendor, I sensed an undercurrent of apprehension, a whisper of unease that lingered in the air like a shadow. I could not shake the feeling that beneath the facade of revelry, there were secrets hidden within the castle's walls, waiting to be uncovered... yet I was not certain I had the willpower left in me to discover them. All I wanted at that moment was to soothe my muscles in this warm basin infused with sweet scented chamomile leaves...

As the days went on in the castle I hadn't a chance to see Lord Beaumont as he was busy with other affairs and had left back to Avonlea. It was surely on purpose it was never mentioned to me what affiliations he had with the war but his duties appeared tremendous. And so I spent my days dallying about, reading the books in the grande library and eating sweet pastries the kitchen servants would bring me, and at nights I enjoyed quiet time in the bath dreaming of silly things like parties and friends and Lord Beaumont.

However inappropriate of me. But alas a girl could not resist.

_________________________________

A/N: Are you liking how this story is developing? Here are some images of how I imagine Vermina Castle (In the spring time) Beautiful, right? Oh to be here with the lord.