Chapter Thirty-three

As it turned out, Elijah brought guests with him to dinner. Jonas Martin and his son Luka who were his current favored witches. Once they'd settled at the table and dished up their dinner, talk swiftly turned to Elena and Niklaus.

Elijah focused on Caroline. "I trust what we say here will not be repeated, Miss Forbes. My Lucy trusts you and considers you family so I am extending you the same courtesy. Do not make me regret it."

Caroline's eyes grew big as she glanced between her friend and the Original. "I won't. I promise."

He nodded once in acknowledgment before leaning back in his chair. "As you are all aware, my siblings and I are the Original vampires. Five of us still live, or a semblance of it at any rate. My brother Niklaus seeks to end a curse and needs the human doppelganger to do it."

"The curse of the sun and the moon," Caroline said with a little nod.

He narrowed his eyes and pursed his lips. "Not exactly."

"The curse Klaus seeks to end is one placed solely on him," Jonas said. "One he has been suffering from for 1,000 years."

Lucy arched a brow. "No wonder he's got anger issues."

Elijah huffed a laugh. "You have no idea. After we were changed, it wasn't long until Niklaus had his first kill. That triggered his werewolf gene. He became the Original hybrid. My father had never cared for him, but discovering that Niklaus was the product of an affair was his breaking point. My mother bound my brother's werewolf side, claiming nature demanded balance."

"You know that was a load of shit, right?" Lucy asked. "If he wasn't meant to be both, the vampirism would have overrode the werewolf or vice versa. She was trying to placate Daddy Mikaelson. I assume it didn't work."

"As my father has been hunting us for the last thousand years I would say no," Elijah agreed. "This is his chance to release the wolf and be free. He needs Elena for the ritual. Once it's complete, he will be weak during his transition and it is then that I will kill him."

"Complete?" Caroline asked. "But that means Elena..."

"The doppelganger will die, yes, however our intention is not for her to remain that way," the Original explained.

Lucy placed her hand over his where it rested on the table. "Do you really want to kill your brother?"

"Of course not," Elijah snapped. "But he must pay for what he's done to our siblings."

"But you'll be alone." Her voice was soft, worried.

He turned his hand to take hers. "Not alone. I'll have you, little one.

***

Mid-afternoon of the next day Damon told Lucy they had some errands to run. She'd simply shrugged and followed him to his car. It didn't take her long to realize one of the things they apparently needed to do was go to Elena's house so Damon could mock her. The Martin witches had cast a spell confining Elena to her house until she was slightly less suicidal so the rest of them could have a break.

Only Elena and Jeremy were in the house when they arrived. Lucy glanced around. "Where's everyone else?" She didn't really care but found it kind of amusing that they'd all just abandoned the teenager.

Elena just glared without answering. Fair enough.

Damon's phone rang before he could begin his taunting. He paced as he talked, irritation heavy in his tone. Finally he hung up and slipped his phone into his pocket. He grabbed Lucy's hand and pulled her toward the door. "We have to go. Jeremy, you keep babysitting. Elena, you should get out. Enjoy the fresh air. Oh, wait. You can't." He smirked, proud of himself and dodged the pillow Elena threw at his head.