Chapter Three

"Wake up, Luce. We've got more dead bodies."

She rolled over and glared at the brunet vampire. "Seriously? That's how you wake me?"

He smirked. "What would you prefer, princess?"

Lucy groaned. "For you to let me sleep until I feel like getting up. Barring that, a cup of coffee and a good morning are always nice." She sat up and ran a hand down her face.

"Ask and ye shall receive." Damon produced the mug of coffee he'd been hiding behind his back. "Good morning, Lucy." She took the mug and inhaled the rich aroma. "Now, get up. We've got more dead bodies."

She sipped the coffee and closed her eyes as she took a deep breath. When she opened them, she looked at the vampire. "Talk."

"They're reporting it as a drug deal gone bad in the cemetery or something. Pretty clear it was a vampire." He sat on the edge of the bed. "We need to find them. They're drawing too much attention."

"Where would we even start, Damon? Just because I know how to kill a vampire doesn't mean I know shit about finding them. I prefer to play defense."

"There's too much activity around the cemetery right now, but once it settles, we'll go investigate. See if we can find anything."

"That sounds like a horrible idea," she said. "You know they'll have the same plan."

"Well, unless you come up with a better one, that's all we have."

***

As it turned out, they didn't get the chance to go vampire hunting. Damon's phone rang late afternoon with a call from Stefan summoning them to Elena's.

"What do you mean she's transitioning?" Damon exclaimed after Stefan broke the news that Vicki Donovan had turned up to see Jeremy mid-transition.

"Shh." Stefan glanced to the stairs to make sure his brother wasn't overheard.

"What do we do?" Elena asked.

Lucy shrugged her shoulders. "She feeds or she dies. Someone needs to explain that to her and let her make her decision."

"There is no choice. She can't become a vampire."

Lucy shifted her gaze to Elena. "You don't get to make that decision for her. Or anyone else."

"Okay," Stefan interjected. "This isn't helping anyone. I think I should be the one to talk to her. No offense, Damon."

The vampire in question smirked as per usual. "None taken. We all know you're the fluffier, friendlier vampire. Explain away."

"Vick!"

The yell interrupted their conversation and they moved into the front hall. Matt was heading out the front door as Jeremy ran down the stairs. The four of them went outside to find Matt yelling for his sister again.

"She was fine, then she just freaked out," Jeremy said.

Lucy looked at the brothers knowing they could track her. "Go." Stefan nodded and jogged away. She put a hand on Damon's arm to stop him before he followed. "We need to know who turned her." He was just as likely to kill her as bring her back if it was easier. He rolled his eyes but gave a nod so she let him go. He handed her his keys then took off after his brother.

"Where are they going?" Elena asked.

"They can track her."

She just looked at Lucy with wide eyes before nodding and heading back in the house.

Lucy couldn't think of anything she wanted to do less than spend her time waiting with the teenagers so she headed back to the boarding house. At first, she'd been fine reading while the tv played in the background, but the more time that passed, the more worried she became. She really hadn't thought it would take them long at all to find the baby vampire and bring her home.