Chapter Nine

"Elena was in an accident last night," Lucy read the text from Stefan aloud. "She's okay but was knocked out. Stefan came along right after. Says it was a vamp."

"Huh." Damon tapped his thumb against the steering wheel as he thought.

"We knew there had to be another vampire around. I was kind of hoping he'd make himself scarce after we killed Logan, though." She returned Stefan's text to let him know they were nearly at their destination. Damon hadn't even told him they were leaving.

"Maybe that's why he did it. Maybe he was pissed we killed Fell," Damon suggested.

Lucy shrugged. "Who the hell knows? You vampires are strange."

He glanced over with a deadpan expression. "That's cute. Funny."

"I'm adorable." Lucy grinned and batted her eyelashes.

Damon huffed a laugh and pulled the car to a stop outside a non-descript bar. "Bree's going to love you, kitten." He looped an arm around her neck and steered her into the bar.

He released her once they were inside. They headed to the bar until the bartender spotted them. She grinned. "No. It can't be. Damon."

She hopped over the bar and grabbed his face to plant a big kiss on his lips. A kiss that Damon returned rather enthusiastically. Lucy's stomach churned with jealousy and she shoved it down. Damon was her friend, nothing more. He could kiss whoever he wanted. Didn't make it suck any less to watch it.

Lucy was beyond annoyed with herself. She had to admit that she'd liked Damon for some time, but she'd settled into playing the girlfriend role without really being his girlfriend. As long as nothing disrupted that, everything was fine. Then moments like this came along and reminded her that she wasn't really that important after all. She couldn't stop the sigh that slipped from her lips.

Mistaking it for annoyance, Damon pulled back from his lip lock. "Oh, sorry, Luce. This is Bree. Bree, meet Lucy."

The beautiful woman turned to Lucy and grinned. "The Lucy?"

Lucy was confused and slightly concerned. "Um...maybe?"

"Lexi's Lucy?" the other woman clarified.

Lucy smiled. "That I am."

"Oh, I love you already," Bree exclaimed and threw her arms around Lucy in a hug. When she was released, she made her excuses and headed to the restroom to freshen up after the car ride.

Bree was in the middle of a toast when Lucy returned. "Listen up, everyone. Here's to the man that broke my heart, crushed my soul, destroyed my life and ruined any and all chances of happiness." Then she proceeded to pass out shots around the bar.

Lucy glanced at Damon as she picked hers up. "Spreading joy wherever you go, I see."

He smirked and clinked his shot glass against hers. "Bottoms up, kitten."

They downed their shots, Lucy making a face at the burn. "Why do I drink this shit?"

"I have no idea," Damon said. "At least I have an excuse."

Alcohol helped curb the hunger. Lucy's only excuse is she grew up around vampires and it became habit. She shrugged and pushed the empty glass toward Bree. "Another one, please."

"Sure thing, sweetheart." She poured another shot.

Lucy downed that one, too. Bree smiled and tilted her head as she looked Lucy over. "So, how did he rope you in?"

She smiled and looked at the man in question. "We both needed a friend and just kind of found each other."

Damon lifted the glass of bourbon Bree had poured for him. "She almost hit me with her car."