quadrāgintā trēs

Error held (Y/n) against his side as he stared Dream down across the table. (Y/n) didn't mind, more than happy to stick close to him after he almost died, while Waylon remained on her other side as he kept his arms crossed, and Silver and Slash crowded the table so they could be caught up with the next steps of the plan.

"Welcome back," Dream said slowly, his gaze vigilant as it switched between (Y/n) and Error. He scarcely breathed like he was doing his utmost to keep from making any sudden moves, and even though (Y/n) still wasn't great at reading him, she could easily tell he was tense.

"Error?" Swap gasped, his bright blue eyelights switching to exclamation marks. Every pair of eyes was already glued to the glitchy demon as Error smirked, more than happy to be the center of attention.

"I am not dead yet, and I would like to remain that way," Error said curtly, his multicolored eyelights flashing with something unreadable to everyone else as he met Dream's piercing gaze. He pulled (Y/n) more comfortably against his side, his grip tight.

"If you stay alive then we all do, I take it," Dream said, a hard edge to his tone as something sharp glinted in his eyelights. Swap looked between the two of them, silently wondering what was going on. "[My dear, must you be so close to him?]" The thought would've been more sweet if there wasn't an undertone of urgency to his thoughts, and (Y/n) frowned.

"[I thought he died, Dream. If it makes him feel better to be near me, then I'll be here for him.]" She wondered for a moment if he assumed she was cheating on him with Error before she recalled he could feel her emotions—and thus her lack of feelings for Error—and how differently Dream acted around Error back before his supposed death. Dream wasn't insecure, only jealous, so why the concern?

"[I suppose you missed him very much when you found out so your reaction is only expected,]" Dream thought more to himself than her, his hand on his jaw contemplatively as his golden eyelights flickered between Error and (Y/n). "[Well, while I do enjoy seeing you so positive, I very much miss your warmth by my side.]" He sent her a small, hopeful smile, and realizing how much this mattered to him, she tried to take a step away from Error to join her lover on the other side of the table, but Error gripped her hand tightly, shooting her a disappointed look that tugged on her heart.

"[I'll join you later.]" She met Dream's gaze so he knew she meant it, and he heaved a silent sigh at the compromise.

"[Very well.]" His kingly posture resumed as he addressed the other demons. "Error's plan must be carried out swiftly, and I expect all of you to remember your role so there will be no more unnecessary deaths." Evidently (Y/n) and the others that went with Waylon to his company caught the tail end of the plan back at the condo. Dream turned to Silver and Slash. "You two remember your roles?" Both brothers nodded readily, Slash's smile bright and Silver's expression grim to show the King he was taking this seriously. It was obvious in the way they looked at Dream that both of them admired him greatly, like he was their King despite neither officially being his minion. Dream had that effect on the others, as even Waylon's demons were listening attentively.

"Your human has informed me that you plan on killing Mrs. Waylon," Error said, his eyelights appraising as they ran over the King. "That seems rather out of character for you, Dream."

"It is a necessary elimination," Dream said firmly, his tone composed despite the way his sockets narrowed. "A life taken now will prevent future harm from befalling the rest of us." There was no telling the damage Mrs. Waylon would do if left alive, whether others would die or it would just be Waylon's company that suffered, but everyone in that room was in agreement that she needed to go. There was no evidence of her illegal activities, and with Waylon's resources, she was nigh untouchable in a court of law, so they had to finish this themselves. Waylon shifted uncomfortably at the thought—like his own negativity regarding what needed to be done was clouding his mind—and Error seemed to notice.