Prologue

The moon hung high in the sky, casting a soft glow over the room. Aurora's eyelids felt heavy as she perched on the cushioned seat by the window, waiting for her mother's return. Her father was in the kitchen, preparing a warm drink that had the sweet cloying scent of nectarfruit, her mother's favorite.

A cold breeze swept through the cottage as a figure stepped through the door. Aurora's eyelids snapped open with new vigor as she launched herself into the air, wrapping her tiny arms around her mother, drinking in the scent of honeyed lavender. Her mother looked weary, her steps heavy with exhaustion, and her eyes clouded with worries that Aurora couldn't understand. Her mother's smile didn't reach her eyes.

"My little songbird," her mother cooed, stroking Aurora's hair, tucking the dark strands behind her ear. "You should be in bed. It is far too late for little sorceresses to be up and about. How do you expect to grow big and strong without your rest?" Her mother admonished her lightly, planting a kiss on her forehead.

Aurora's bottom lip jutted out in an exaggerated pout. "I can't go to bed without a story, I'll get nightmares. Do you want me to have nightmares? I won't get good rest," she stated impishly, mischief glinting in her violet eyes.

Her mother giggled softly, a sound like wind chimes on a gentle breeze. "Your father can read you stories, little one."

A sour look crossed Aurora's face. "No he can't, not like you. He doesn't read them right. He doesn't do the voices or the big pauses. Absolutely no stage presence," Aurora griped, shaking her head in disapproval.

Her father howled with laughter as he emerged from the kitchen, carrying three steaming mugs; two large and one small. "I must admit, my story-telling abilities are novice compared to yours, my love." He set the mugs down on the small table situated in the alcove, arranging each one in front of one of the three wooden stools. "Lilith, I don't think I can possibly live up to the standard you've set," he grasped his wife's hands, their fingers intertwining.

Aurora stuck her tongue out in disgust as her parents kissed; a quick but tender brush of lips before gazing at each other, eyes clouded with an emotion that Aurora was too young to grasp. Aurora sat down at her designated stool with a huff, crossing her arms in indignation. Moments passed before her parents joined her.

Lilith reached over and lightly pinched Aurora's cheek. "Alright, little one, drink your tea, and you get just one story before bed. Is that understood?" Her words rang with warning, there would be no negotiation of a second story tonight.

Aurora nodded sheepishly before bringing the mug to her lips. The warmth and sweetness of the tea caused exhaustion to settle into her bones, and her eyes drooped dangerously low. She fought off the allure of sleep, and downed the rest of her tea while her parents discussed boring adult matters in hushed tones that Aurora could neither understand nor had any desire to listen to.

Aurora convinced her father that she needed to be carried to bed. He lifted her with ease, but pretended to struggle as he hauled her to bed, tucking her snuggly beneath the quilt bed cover which was embroidered with floral designs. She nestled deeper into the fabric as her mother sat on the bed next to her, and her father collapsed into the rocking chair by the door.

"What story shall it be tonight, my little songbird?" Her mother tenderly inquired, her voice a soothing melody in the quiet of the room.

Aurora pondered for a moment. "Hmmm..." she stroked her chin, feigning deep concentration. "Tell me the story of the Dragons again, Mama," she pleaded, her eyes alight with childish delight.

Her mother smiled deeply, her eyes crinkling as she brushed a hand against Aurora's cheek, sweeping away the stray strands of dark brown hair. "Ah, the tale of the Dragons," she mused, her gaze drifting to the window, the open curtains allowing a flood of moonlight to wash over them. "I must have told you that one a dozen times. Are you sure you don't want to hear something different, maybe something new?"

But Aurora was undeterred, and she remained steadfast in her decision.

"Alright, the tale of the Dragons it is," her mother murmured, settling deeper into the bed, resting her back against the intricately carved wooden headboard. Taking a deep breath, she began.

"Long ago, before the age of sorceresses and mages, Dragons ruled over the lands. They soared through the skies over which they held dominion, their scales shimmering with the essence of the elements they controlled. From the fiery breath of the hot-tempered Pyrodrakes to the icy chill of the Frostwyrms, the magic-less people of the land looked to the clouds with awe and wonder. They worshipped the Dragons as gods, building temples and paying tribute in their names. Names that are now long forgotten.

"As the original practitioners of magic, they alone possessed the ability to harness and control the arcane elementals, the raw magic imbued into the land. They wove spells and enchantments with ease, their magnificent claws cleaving their will into reality.

"In their benevolence, they saw potential in the fledgling race of humans. Thus, the Dragons bestowed upon humanity the gift of magic, teaching them to harness the elemental forces that coursed through the fabric of the world. With newfound power, the humans of old rose to prominence, forming alliances with the Dragons, and bringing humanity into a golden age of prosperity and harmony.

"But this would be short lived. With the ability to harness and control the pure elementals, comes the ability to tap into the dark twisted forces that lurk underneath. The Dark Mages, hungry for more power, delved into the forbidden arts, and sacrificed their souls in the proces—"

"Why would they do such a thing?" Aurora questioned through a yawn as though she didn't have the story memorized after the many times she demanded to hear it. "The soul makes a sorceresses magic strong. If they hurt it, they can't do magic anymore, and they won't even be human." Aurora yawned again, rubbing her eyes with the back of her hand. She let her eyes droop closed, and prodded her mother with a fingertip, prompting her to continue.

Lilith's eyes were alight with deep fondness as she continued.

"Very right you are, little one. The soul of a sorceress amplifies their magic, and the strength of your soul determines the strength of your magic. By damaging the soul, you relinquish your ability to control elemental magic, and cease to be human. But the Dark Mages were captivated by the allure of the forbidden arts and the dark power it promised, and chose to give up their humanity. They did this because they sought to usurp the Dragons, and become gods themselves.

"An age of chaos ensued as the forces of darkness swept the land, laying waste to everything in its path. They say even the sun was snuffed out, unable or unwilling to shine down on the evil that scoured the surface.

"In the face of the rising threat, Dragons and sorceresses stood united, their bond forged through many years of friendship and mutual respect. Together, they waged war against the chaotic forces, battling against dark creatures and wicked sorceresses in an epic battle that shook the world on its axis.

"Then, one fateful day, the Dragons mysteriously vanished from the skies without a trace. Without their guidance and protection, humanity found itself once again vulnerable against the machinations of the Dark Mages. In the Dragons' absence, humanity was left to defend for itself, but with the knowledge passed down from their draconic allies, they refused to surrender to despair.

"United once more, the sorceresses of old rose up against the darkness that threatened to consume all life, and emerged victorious. The darkness was defeated, but it can never be defeated for long. It forever lurks on the fringes of hope, waiting for a chance to rise again. The sorceresses must remain ever vigilant, and keep goodness in their hearts.

"And so, the legacy of the Dragons lives on in the hearts of those who dare to defy the darkness, their memory a beacon of hope in a world forever threatening to teeter over into chaos."

Lilith finished her tale with a sigh, and looked down at her daughter's sleeping form, softly snoring. Sleep had claimed Aurora before the story's conclusion, but she had avoided sleep far longer than a young sorceress should. Lilith got up from the bed as gracefully as she could, and pressed a gentle kiss to her daughter's forehead, a silent promise of unconditional love and protection.

She and her husband slipped out of the room quietly, leaving behind an echo of laughter and the whisper of a dream.

[1498 words]