PSA - Child Manipulation

NARRATOR: Dear parents, I implore you not to engage in emotional manipulation with your children. Such behaviour can lead to a lack of trust as they grow up, fostering feelings of sadness and guilt. Examples of manipulative actions towards your children include…

CHILD 1: Comparing them to their siblings and expressing a desire for them to be more like their brother or sister.

CHILD 2: Encouraging your child to explore their options freely, but also emphasising that they shouldn’t direct their anger toward you if they happen to make a mistake.

CHILD 3: Refusing to trust their account of events when they share something that someone did or said to them, whether it involves their friends, your friends, family members, or even you.

CHILD 4: Engaging in negative behaviour and subsequently feigning innocence, hoping that your children will eventually forget about it.

CHILD 5: Expressing frustration when your child is honest with you, even if they share something upsetting or disappointing. Avoid conveying that it’s unsafe or unproductive for them to communicate openly with you.

CHILD 6: Causing them to feel guilty or ashamed about their friends, specific individuals they may have hurt, their chosen career path, school decisions, or their gender and sexuality.

CHILD 7: Applying pressure about personal matters.

CHILD 8: Expecting your children to repay you financially after years of caring for them.

NARRATOR: Remember, as a parent, avoid manipulative behavior. If you’re curious about your parenting abilities, you can take a quiz to assess your readiness. Check out this link: www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=will-you-make-good-parent.