46

PART II

July 2000

Eiry slowly opened her eyes, the warm rays of the Hawaiian sun streaming through the large windows of her bedroom. Blinking away sleep, she stretched her arms and legs luxuriously, relishing the comfort of her king-size bed. As she shifted her gaze to the other side of the bed, she noticed the disarray left behind by her male companion from the night before. The tangled sheets told the tale of a passionate evening spent together. The faint scent of his cologne still lingered in the air, mixed with the salty sea breeze wafting in through the open window. Eiry sat curled up in bed, her tranquility was shattered by the sad news about Pearl Jam that had been circulating in her mind. Her mood shifted from calm to worried. Thoughts raced through her mind, and she couldn't shake the sense of unease that had gripped her. Without hesitation, Eiry grabbed her phone from the nightstand and dialed Rae's number. When the phone rang a second time, she heard Rae fumble with it and finally she spoke in a deep sad tone. She too had witnessed everything.

"Hey, it's me..." Eiry told her crossing her legs and playing with her toes with her free hand. "How are you?"

"We're in San Diego." Rae breathed. "We couldn't stay in Seattle." Stone and Rae had bought a house in San Diego to where they escaped whenever they were in need of a break from Seattle. "You know... I don't think people do it with bad intentions but sometimes they approach Stone to share a few supportive words, but he just wants some peace and quiet, so we decided to come here."

"It's for the better." Eiry breathed. "Maybe I should come visit." She offered. Her eyes filled with tears. "Do you think he'd like my company?"

Despite Eiry living in Hawaii and Stone in Seattle, their friendship only grew stronger over the past eight years. Sometimes Stone and Rae flew to Hawaii for some vacation to spend some time with Eiry. Or Eiry visited San Diego, and they would hang out. But never in Seattle.

"You know he always loves your company, but I really think he needs time. Don't get me wrong, Eir..."

"No..." Eiry shook her head. "Not at all, Rae. I understand."

"They all took a break, you know." Rae pulled up her feet on the couch and looked outside over the window. "Jeff went to Montana with his girlfriend. You met her, right?"

"He's still dating the same girl?" Rae ended up smiling.

"He is. It's been two years now. I think she has him wrapped around her finger to be honest."

"She's a lucky woman. Jeff is such an amazing person."

"I think he really loves her." Rae said.

"And..." Eiry took a deep breath. She could not believe she was going to make that question. "Ed..." Her voice a whisper. Rae frowned.

"Are you really asking about him?" Rae sounded surprised. "After eight years... it's the first time you even say his name."

"But I know he exists." Eiry replied. "And in a time like this, I cannot not remember him too."

"We don't know where he is." Rae ran her hands through her hair. "I mean... he doesn't disappear anymore. He doesn't do that now. Ed is a lot better to be honest. I think he's dealt with his ghosts after... you know..." Rae added no more.

The mention of him stirred a peculiar sensation in Eiry's heart though, causing it to beat faster than usual. Despite the rush of emotions, she brushed it off as mere anxiety, dismissing the strange feeling that lingered within her.

"He stayed in Seattle for a couple of days..." Rae continued, oblivious to Eiry's mind drifting to memories she had long pushed aside. "...he visited Chris, you know he has a baby girl and then he called Stone and the others to say he needed to go away. So, we don't know where he is, but he warned everyone he was leaving..."