Scared to say it

Scared to Say It

Words -1219

Connor Bedard felt like he was on top of the world. At just 19 years old, he was a rising star in the NHL, playing for the Chicago Blackhawks. But as successful as he was on the ice, he couldn't help feeling a bit of envy that had nothing to do with hockey.
It was the night of a big game against the Toronto Maple Leafs, and Connor's team was trailing by a goal. He sat on the bench, helmet off, staring out at the sea of red and black jerseys in the stands. Somewhere out there was his best friend, Y/N, who had been a constant in his life for years. He'd known her since they were kids, growing up in the same neighborhood in North Vancouver. They'd done everything together: playing street hockey, biking, going to the beach. She was his rock, his confidante, his best friend. And he was in love with her.
The problem was, he didn't know how to tell her.
Connor glanced over at the Maple Leafs section, and that's when he saw it: Y/N wearing a Leafs jersey. Not just any jerseyâ€"it was Auston Matthews', one of the league's top players. A wave of jealousy surged through him, and he felt a tightness in his chest. Why was she wearing that jersey? Had she met Matthews? Did she like him?
"Hey, man, you okay?" asked his teammate, Lukas Reichel, who noticed his brooding expression.
"Yeah, I'm fine," Connor lied, trying to focus on the game. But his eyes kept drifting back to where he knew Y/N was sitting. The jealousy wouldn't go away. He was angry at himself for feeling this way, but he couldn't help it.
"Looks like someone got under your skin," said Taylor Raddysh, another teammate, who'd followed Connor's gaze. "Isn't that your friend over there?"
Connor nodded. "Yeah, that's Y/N," he said, feeling his stomach twist.
"Why's she wearing a Leafs jersey?" Taylor asked, raising an eyebrow. "I thought she was a Blackhawks fan."
Connor shrugged. "I don't know. Maybe she just likes Matthews," he said, trying to sound indifferent, but it came out as a grumble.
The other guys on the bench started to pick up on his mood. They'd seen Connor and Y/N together enough times to know there was something more than friendship between them, even if Connor couldn't admit it. Taylor gave him a nudge. "You should talk to her, man. Tell her how you feel."
"I can't," Connor said, shaking his head. "What if it ruins our friendship?"
Lukas rolled his eyes. "Dude, everyone can see you two are into each other. Just go for it. Life's too short to be scared."
Before Connor could respond, the coach called the team back to the ice. The game resumed, but Connor was distracted. His mind kept racing back to Y/N in that blue jersey. He knew he shouldn't care so much, but he couldn't help it. He was afraid of losing her, afraid of the change that might come if he confessed his feelings.
As the game went on, things didn't get much better for the Blackhawks. They fell behind by two goals, and the crowd grew restless. Connor felt the pressure mounting. He played hard, trying to focus on the game, but his heart wasn't in it.
During the intermission, the team returned to the locker room. The coach laid into them, demanding more effort and focus, but Connor barely heard him. He sat at his locker, his head down, feeling the weight of uncertainty.
Suddenly, the locker room door creaked open, and he looked up to see Y/N slipping inside. "Connor?" she said, her voice soft.
"Y/N, what are you doing here?" he asked, surprised to see her. The rest of the team had gone back out for warm-ups, so it was just the two of them.
"I wanted to check on you," she said, walking over to him. She held out a bundle of fabricâ€"a Blackhawks jersey. "I changed into this because I didn't want you to be upset. I know the Leafs jersey was a bad choice. It was a friend's joke, and I thought it would be funny, but I didn't realize you'd be so bothered by it."
Connor felt a surge of relief, but also a pang of guilt for feeling so jealous. He stood up, his heart racing. "It's okay," he said, taking the jersey from her. "I'm glad you came to see me."
Y/N looked at him, her eyes searching his. "Is something wrong, Connor? You seem... different tonight."
He hesitated, feeling the words on the tip of his tongue. The moment felt right, and he knew he had to take the risk. "Y/N, Iâ€""
"You're back on in five!" one of the coaches shouted, interrupting them.
Connor felt the urgency of the moment slipping away. He couldn't wait any longer. He took a deep breath and stepped closer to her. "Y/N, I need to tell you something," he said, his voice low and intense. "I like you. I mean, I really like you. More than just a friend. I've been too scared to say it, but I can't keep pretending."
Y/N's eyes widened, and her cheeks flushed. "Connor, Iâ€""
But before she could finish, Connor leaned in and kissed her. It was gentle and hesitant, yet filled with emotion. It felt like everything he'd been holding back finally broke free, and for a moment, the world faded away.
When they broke apart, Y/N's eyes sparkled with surprise and happiness. "Connor, I've liked you for a long time," she said, smiling. "I just didn't know if you felt the same."
Connor couldn't believe his ears. "You do? Why didn't you say something?"
"I was scared," she said, shrugging. "I didn't want to ruin our friendship."
Connor laughed, feeling a wave of relief. "Me too," he said, pulling her into a hug. "I guess we've both been scared for no reason."
Their embrace was interrupted by the coach's voice. "Bedard! Get back on the ice!"
Connor sighed and kissed Y/N's forehead. "I'll see you after the game, okay?"
"Good luck," she said, watching him as he left the locker room with a huge smile on his face.
The game turned around for the Blackhawks after that. Connor played with renewed energy, scoring two goals and leading his team to a thrilling comeback victory. As the final horn sounded and the crowd erupted in cheers, he skated over to where Y/N was sitting, wearing his jersey and cheering him on.
He pointed to her and grinned, his heart swelling with happiness. She blew him a kiss and waved, her excitement as palpable as the rest of the fans'. The game was a success, but it was nothing compared to the feeling of finally being honest about his feelings.
After the game, Connor and Y/N went back to his place, where they cuddled on the couch, watching a movie and enjoying the simple comfort of each other's company. It was a happy ending that felt like a new beginningâ€"a beginning where fear and uncertainty no longer stood in the way of their love