I'm A Part of an Expedition Sent to the Ural Mountains - Chapter One: Part One

Start from the beginning

Corporal Vlad Ivanov, the unit's marksman, traced a scar on his forearm. "Two weeks is a long time for a place to go dark."

Corporal David Hobbs, his partner, and the explosives specialist leaned back, his fingers methodically running over the grenades strapped to his chest. "That means whatever happened hit them fast."

Private Dean Sikes sat stiffly, his wide eyes reflecting the cabin's red light. Private Damion Waters handed him a flask of water. "Keep your head in the game, Dean. We have your back."

Sergeant Childs MacReady and Private Hassan sat side by side, their expressions hardened. MacReady whispered something to Hassan, who simply nodded before donning his helmet. They were the heavy gunners, ready to lay down suppressive fire at a moment's notice.

The scientists were strapped in tightly, their gear clinking as the helicopter swayed. Doctor James Reid glanced at the reading charts on his lap. He was an astrophysicist, more accustomed to deciphering the mysteries of space than facing the unknown within the earth. Beside him, Doctor Kenneth Murray, a mathematician known for breaking complex codes, scanned through files of calculations. "This place could have variables we can't predict," he murmured.

Doctor Rachel Gorshkovsky, the Russian biologist and microbiologist, adjusted her respirator and pulled out a series of diagnostic tools. "We have to approach this methodically," she said, glancing at Doctor Emma White, the neurologist. White remained silent, her gloved hands folded together. She had a reputation for dissecting the unseen, and her eyes betrayed a determination that had helped us through countless emergencies.

I listened as the helicopter hummed above us, its vibrations a constant reminder of what lay ahead. My name is Alice, a chemist and virologist, but I knew there were things down there that no test tube could explain. My gloves were tight around my wrist, and I glanced at the locket around my neck, a reminder of the truths hidden deep beneath the snow and ice.

From my seat in the helicopter, the vast and eerie expanse of the Ural Mountains stretched out beneath us. The landscape presented itself as an endless canvas of chilling beauty under the moonlit sky, its secrets buried deep beneath layers of snow. As I gazed out, my breath fogged the inside of the window, and a biting cold nipped at my nose, slicing through the warmth of our cabin. Below us, the Urals' labyrinthine terrain, with its hidden dangers and frozen silences, spread out, filling my heart with a mix of exhilaration and dread— the type that seeps into your bones like the frost of a deep winter. My stomach was coiled with a mixture of excitement and a chilling trepidation that crept into my veins like frostbite.

The helicopter's vibrations were like a humming lullaby from the mechanical beast, trying to soothe my burgeoning anxiety, but the potent sense of foreboding was undeniable. Doctor Emma White glanced at me with her golden hair cascading in a tight bun. Our eyes locked, and for a moment, a silent conversation passed between us. We knew we had stepped into something far more extensive and complex than we initially thought. I recalled our shared late-night discussions in the lab during college, our dreams of breaking scientific boundaries and saving lives, not knowing that those ambitions would lead us here, to this clandestine assignment amidst the frozen wilderness.

Underneath the roaring of the helicopter, my mind began to wander, drawing from the scarce scraps of information provided to us. What could be so critical, so imperatively secretive, that it required expertise from such disparate scientific domains? My fingers instinctively wrapped around the small locket I always wore, a memento from my late mother, who always told me, "In science, we find truth." Yet, at that moment, truth seemed ominously veiled, masked by the shadows of undisclosed agendas and the stark, piercing cold of the mountains beneath. I steal a glance at Emma. Her face is set, her eyes reflecting the red emergency lights, a stark contrast to the darkness outside the chopper's windows. The roar of the helicopter blades isn't enough to drown out the silence that follows each of Helms's sentences.