I'm A Part of an Expedition Sent to the Ural Mountains - Chapter One: Part One

Start from the beginning

Doctor Kenneth Murray, the mathematician, sought patterns where others saw chaos. His unconventional theories sometimes bordered on paranoia, but he had the mind for unlocking puzzles where others saw only noise.

Doctor Emma White, the neurologist, studied the limits of human fear. Her clinical demeanor was marked by determination and calm, always seeking to understand the unknown through methodical analysis.

And I, Doctor Alice Beall, a chemist and virologist, felt the weight of our mission in the pit of my stomach. My scientific curiosity was dwarfed by the growing unease gnawing at my core. We were venturing into the abyss, and despite all our preparations, I knew we were walking into something no amount of research could have prepared us for.

The roar of the helicopter blades droned on above us, the vibrations pulsing through the cabin of the Sikorsky CH-53E Super Stallion as we sped toward our destination. Captain Dutch Helms stood at the center, his commanding presence unmistakable despite the darkness. His voice boomed through the intercom, "Listen up. Our mission is straightforward: recover any and all data from the facility and bring back survivors if there are any. No mistakes." He nods to Lieutenant Bishop Heart to play the last transmission from the

The harsh red lighting cast ominous shadows on Captain Dutch Helms' weathered face as he played the last transmission from Doctor Sasha Beischel. We listened intently as the crackling static filled the cabin, the archaeologist's voice breaking through intermittently. Her breath was ragged, tinged with panic.

"This is Doctor Sasha Beischel from the facility. Something has happened... the digging... no, no, they shouldn't have opened it!" Her words blurred through a wash of white noise before returning. "The team... We tried to—" She gasped, her voice quivering as static overwhelmed the transmission.

Her voice, strained and frantic, crackled through the static: "If anyone's receiving this... we need help immediately. Something has breached the lower levels... we couldn't contain it. Casualties are high. I'm not sure how much longer we can hold out. Please, send—"

There was a long pause, and the silence rang in our ears before her voice returned, now hoarse, barely above a whisper. "We can't hold them back any longer. They're coming... Please, send help. This is... Doctor Sasha Beischel. If you hear this... they... they're—" The message cut off abruptly, leaving only the empty hiss of static. Her last words hung ominously in the air before the recording went silent. A heavy, tense silence settled over us, each person processing the gravity of the distress call.

Captain Helms leaned forward, his eyes piercing through the dimly lit cabin. "You heard her. We're going into the unknown. Whatever happened, that's what we're walking into. Stay alert, stay alive. We're not just here for recovery; we might be heading into a fight. Prepare accordingly." Stay on task and keep your heads clear. You know what's at stake."

We exchanged uneasy glances, each of us bracing for the reality of the mission ahead. The hum of the helicopter's engines and the rattling of our gear only deepened the oppressive sense of uncertainty.

Captain Helms' eyes bore into each one of us. "Our job is to bring back the data and any survivors. Stay sharp and stick to protocol. This is not a salvage mission, it's a recovery, so remember your training."

The atmosphere grew colder as Lieutenant Bishop Heart, Captain Helms' right hand, laid out the tactical plan. He had the steely resolve of a man who had been through too many operations and knew the grim realities. "Stay in formation and stick to your roles. Nobody ventures off alone, clear?"

Master Sergeant Neal Ross, a former intelligence operative, remained silent, inspecting his rifle with surgical precision. He had spent years in the shadowy world of covert operations, where every shot counted. He exchanged a grim nod with Staff Sergeant Silvia Rosa, a hardened veteran with sharp eyes who could spot danger from a mile away.