Chapter 4-The Chase

Two weeks had passed and though the sting of Vincent's departure was still raw, the family had to keep up with the daily routines of life. Legend and Will had taken to climbing a tree near the river after they finished their chores to watch for Vincent's return. Perched up high, overlooking the parched riverbed, Will and Legend could see The River Road for a half mile in both directions before it wound away amongst the dry hills. Despite his mother telling him repeatedly that it would be some weeks, at best, before they could hope for Vincent's return, Legend searched the northern road with wishful eyes.

"Would you like to see where the road goes someday?" Will asked, swinging a leg in the air, the other leg bent and secured to the branch, his chin resting on his knee. Legend sat on a branch next to Will, also leaning against the trunk, but with his legs stretched out along the branch and crossed at the ankles.

"Oh yes." Legend tried to sound brave, but his voice quavered and he felt his limbs go weak at the thought.

Sometimes the village boys would dare each other to cross the bridge. Once, frightened Francis had actually crossed and walked a hundred steps up the road. He'd counted out loud to crowd out the panic in his head. Even Burley was impressed and thereafter let Francis officially join his scruffy lot.

Before the bridge crossing, Francis had been teased almost as much as Legend and he had decided that this was one sure way to prove himself. Afterwards, Francis ran straight home—white as a ghost. No one saw him for two days and his mother said he'd fallen ill. But when he came out of bed, he had a newfound respect. He could have picked anyone for a friend. Too bad, Legend thought, he'd picked Burley.

"Do you think all the stories are true, about the road beyond?" Legend half whispered, as if the goblins they'd heard about were waiting just round the corner.

"I dunno," Will answered, not whispering. "I think the grown-ups just tell us that stuff to keep us from goin' anywhere."

"Remember Silas Grey?" Legend continued in a whisper. "Remember when he left? No one thought they'd ever see him again. But he came back, remember? You know," Legend said in a serious tone. "He came back with a full head of white hair and a stutter. For three months all he said was, 'M...m...m...monsters there are! M...m...m...monsters I tell you!'"

A chill went up Legend's spine. He looked back towards Cambria, suddenly wishing he were home. Just then, they heard a rustle down below. They both sat still, ears perked up and eyes wide, the word monsters still lingering in their minds.

Then, CRASH...Burley burst through the bushes like a wild boar. Francis followed, looking around nervously. Burley sat down, right below Legend and Will, and began throwing small stones into a mucky puddle in the riverbed. Francis stood nearby, shifting from side to side.

"Know what I'd like to do, Fran?" Burley said, and continued before Francis could ask, "What?"

"I'd like to take some of that there muck and wipe it right across Will Buckley's mouth." Francis didn't dislike Will and didn't particularly want to do anything other than get back home, quick. He didn't like it by the river—old dried out bed of stones and stinky puddles. You could walk right across it now. No need for a bridge; just side-step the trickles and potholes of rotting water. But no one did that. It was cursed! The water was poisoned. You'd surely be covered in boils, get the plague, die of a fever—or all three!

"And that Legend!" Burley continued. "I'd just throw him in! Serves him right to have his dad sent away. Their whole lot should be sent away!" Burley laughed. Francis forced a noise—it was meant to be something that sounded supportive, but it ended up more of a squeak. "They both got it comin', alright. They got it comin' good. One of these days I'm gonna make a legend of a story out of showing William Buckley and Legend Bramble who's in charge around here."