Chapter Twenty-Five

"What are you doing here?" Delmar said as soon as Alex had left. The ceiling of the map room creaked above him. It was as if something was moving around up there. Suddenly, shrouded by the dim light in the corner of the room, a dark figure dropped down from a small, inconspicuous opening in the ceiling. The figure was tall and lanky. On his back, the hilt of a large sword was held in a leather harness.

Ranger stepped forward from the darkness. "I hope you know what I'm about to tell you," he breathed in a low, serious tone. Delmar gave an aversive nod. "First, the following conversation never happened."

"Fine. Just get on with it."

Nodding his head, Ranger continued to speak. "I've been watching that boy ever since he arrived here. I can't explain it, but lately I've been experiencing a few less than welcome perceptions of the future."

Delmar glanced back at the map room's entrance to ensure that their conversation was indeed out of earshot. He moved closer to his battered visitor. "What are you talking about?"

"I'm not sure," Ranger shook his head. He looked Delmar in the eyes in an effort to ensure that they both realized the seriousness of his tone. "But you have to understand: this conflict - this war that you're breeding with your enemies-"

"We did not start this war!" Delmar lashed out, pointing his finger at Ranger. "And I will not be held accountable for their actions or the choices of those who came before me!"

Ranger tried to remain calm, urging him to keep his voice down. "I'm not blaming you or any of your people for your problems, but this is a whole lot bigger than you realize. Whether you want to accept it or not is irrelevant. I have been chased across the four corners of this country for twenty years." Ranger pulled his relic from his back and held it in front of Delmar. "This thing has caused me more pain and suffering than you can imagine. I'm reaping the consequences of my choices, and your people will suffer the same fate if you don't tread lightly."

Delmar was starting to feel heated inside. "Don't you dare threaten my people," he growled. "You are only here because you made a promise that I expect you to keep; I will listen to any advice you have to offer and allow you to hide in our territories, and in return, you will keep your distance from our conflict. I don't know anything about your business with your magic, mystical toy there, and neither do I care. All that matters to me is the safety and security of my people and our way of life."

Ranger sighed to himself. "I'm not here to try to convince you to follow me out on some fool's adventure, and believe me, I would not condone it. I'm here to ask only one thing of you, and yes, it concerns the boy."

Delmar began to cool down and was prepared to listen to whatever it was this wandering stranger had to say. "Go on, then."

Composing himself as best he could, Ranger began to speak. "I have reason to believe that the boy is important, or at least, he will be. I didn't realize it until just recently, and I count myself lucky that things didn't go as wrong as they could have - like if the people who are after were to discover the connection between us."

"What connection could you possibly have to Alex?" Delmar interrupted, growing curious.

"It's a bit beyond your understanding," was Ranger's simple reply. "All I'm asking of you is to guarantee his safety. I heard your conversation with him just moments ago; you refuse to release him because of the dangers that might await him out there. Well, now you have another reason to keep him safe here with you; my reasons."

"And what are your reasons?"

Ranger was starting to look like he might completely lose his mind at any moment. "I wish I had the capacity to explain." He looked at Delmar with eyes that were beginning to go bloodshot from exhaustion. He took a step closer to him. "As the son of your people's leader, I'm sure you know all about the cultures and beliefs of your ancestors?"

"Of course," Delmar replied.

"As well as the old deities and spirits in the writings and legends of your Native American roots?" Ranger added. "Religion is a thing of the past. Lost, forgotten, even dismissed by most people today but most people would be fools. Most people are ignorant and blind; blind to the true realities that surround our world. In truth, people are afraid." Delmar was growing wary as this man continued to speak to him. All his time alone and running from the world must have been going right to his ravaged mind. Ranger never took his eyes off Delmar. "What if I told you that I have seen more than you know? More than you can possibly imagine." He raised the hilt of his ancient relic once again as if to draw Delmar's attention with it, and then he slipped back into place in its harness. "There are secrets in this world, Delmar. Ancient secrets that have been lost to the abyss for millennia, and they're coming back for us. I can't alter the future, but together, we can help to assure that the pieces remain in position. I'm not here to lecture you on everything I went through to learn all of this, but I will make myself as clear as possible: Alex Lee must not come to harm. He doesn't yet know the part he's meant to play, but when his time comes, his life will change forever. The entire world is going to change forever."

Delmar put his hands over his face and tensed his muscles. He was nearing the breaking point every minute he was forced to listen to this man's twisted words. Still, somewhere in the back of his mind, he believed he had an obligation to fulfill this one simple task. "Fine then," Delmar groaned in compliance. "But just know this: you're placing this boy in a very volatile environment and asking for a lot if you think I can guarantee his safety. As an Outsider, I can promise you that many of my people are not going to take a liking to him."

"Alex is making his own decisions," Ranger responded. He rubbed his forehead as if it were aching. "But something tells me Hell is about to open its mouth upon all of you soon. I can't do anything to help you. Just be warned: you are not warriors. Be careful how you move toward the future. If push comes to shove, then it won't be a war you're fighting. It will be a bloodbath."

"I don't need your lectures," Delmar retorted, maintaining his composure.

Ranger bowed his head to him. "Then I take my leave. Good luck to you all." Keeping quiet, Ranger turned and lifted himself back up above the map room through the opening in which he first entered. Delmar did not know where he was off to, just so long as it was away from the Citadel. Though he did not like the man much, something about him still made Delmar believe he could trust him not to betray their position to the Domineers.

Delmar walked outside of the map room and looked out over the tower's overwatch. As crazy as Ranger tended to be while they spoke, Delmar recognized the truth in his words every now and then. His people were not warriors, and were never meant to be, but what choice did they have now? Delmar was far too young to be faced with these difficult decisions. One way or another, this had to end, or there would be no future for the Ravennites. There would be no future for his sister.