Chapter 21B

Scarlet's POV

Pathum: So today is the 14th of April, and it's a new year for us, the Sinhalese and Tamil peoples. My mother tongue is Sinhala so I'm Sinhalese. In fact, the majority of Sri Lankans are Sinhalese, and the minority is occupied by Tamils, Muslims, Christians, and Burghers etc. You get the point.

So from a religious perspective, Buddhists and Hindu people celebrate the new year in April, and even though it isn't in their religion Muslims and Christians celebrate it too. And we have some customs in our new year which I'll get into soon.

So the customs are pretty nice.

For example we have a time annotated to eat the sweet meals we prepared. Then there are fireworks and celebrations. Also there are customs where oil is applied on our heads and finally we visit our neighbours and relatives.

As children we receive money or other gifts. I don't receive much now since I'm eighteen but still anyone here who doesn't work is considered children. No, that's not how the majority work but still my family still treats me like a kid. However, not every family treats their children that way okay?

The thing is my family's good and I'm lucky to have them. I shouldn't go without appreciating them for what they are.

We also prepare a special kind of sweet for the new year as well. Then we play games in our village for which I NEVER PARTICIPATE, yes I don't go out to play with the external world. I'm a very negative person but I don't need them. I have a bestie and that's all I need. But yeah there are games organised as well where you can win prizes. These games are mostly held in temples or some other place where events could be held. They're fun, but I don't like them.

Don't get me wrong, yes it's fun to eat and play different games and stay with people but I never liked that idea. I don't like being with and interacting with many people. Being with my family is much better. I hope you understand now.

Scarlet: How could I not understand when someone like you explained it? You explained everything so well. I do understand, so happy new year my boy!

Pathum: Well thanks, my girl!

Scarlet: So, what are you doing now?

Pathum: Talking to my bestie!

Scarlet: Aww sweetie!

Pathum: Yep sweetie. I'm glad that I'm talking to you and most importantly I'm grateful for the chance I got to be your bestie and enjoying the warmth and prosperous love I receive from you every day. So sweetie thank you so much for being in my life, I'm forever grateful.

Scarlet: I have to say the same for you. I'm grateful to have a boy like you in my life. I've had boys and girls in my life but none of them were able to make the impact you've made. You're a great blessing from God and I'm forever grateful to have you as my bestie and have your company.

Pathum: Aww sweet!

Scarlet: So are there events today?

Pathum: Yeah, but I'm not going to them.

Scarlet: Sweetie, you shouldn't stay home alone.

Pathum: I'm with you. That's enough for me.

Scarlet: You're something cute.

Pathum: Sweetie, you're definitely something cute, not me. You know people also play a sport similar to basketball. Wait not, not basketball, baseball. People play it in a paddy field. It looks fun because there's water in the field and it's not so dry. So injuries aren't severe but you'll still get wet.

So they play this event between the two sides of the village. There's the left side of the village and right side separated by the paddy fields, so they play a few games between the two sides. You get it? And since our home is almost in the paddy fields we can watch the game from home. We shout and go wild.