Letters from Hannah - Thriller

Exchanged letters between two sisters quickly reveal a more sinister force behind their relationship, one with malicious intent and shrouded in mystery.

Disclaimer: Horror, mentions of death, mentions of violence, etc.

Scare Rating: 4/10

-

Dear Mary,

I didn't mean to lash out at you last week. My emotions got the better of me, and I just lost it. I'm so sorry. I called mom right after and told her the whole situation. She's still a little shaken, but her voice loosened up after my explanation.

But that's not the main reason why I'm writing to you. And you know this. Hell, I never write to you! The last time I wrote was... Mary, I'm scared.

I disconnected all the internet and tech in the house. Even my phone. Which is why my message is on a piece of paper in your mailbox.

Which is probably why you're getting this letter a few days too late.

And before you do what I think you're going to do, stop it. Don't call anyone. Don't text anyone. Don't DM anyone or even touch your phone. Put it all on airplane mode. And only once you've done all of that, hold Matty close to you and come find me, Mary.

Love Always,

Hannah

~ ~ ~

"Hannah, I'm here, are you alright?" My knuckles are white as they knock at the chocolate-tinted door. A vertical window on the door's left side is sand-blasted, blurry and tinted just enough as I can only make out the shapes of the furniture in her foyer.

"Mommy, why are we here?" Matthew tugs at my watch, his uncombed curls from this morning reminiscent of the rush we had getting out the door after receiving the letter this morning. I had been going through the mail that morning, and Hannah's letter caught my eye. She's never written letters before. The bags under his eyes claw away at my heart, but I quickly push the remorse away.

"We're here to check if Auntie Hannah is alright." My voice is coated in a sickly layer of sugar. "Don't worry, I know you want to get ice cream, and we can do that after we make sure Auntie Hannah is okay."

He glances at me uneasily.

"Do you want to ask Auntie Hannah to join us for ice cream?"

"No."

I don't realize my furrowed brows until he turns away. "Why not?-"

"Aunt Hannah is crazy." He mutters under his breath, but loud enough for me to hear.

"Whoa there, little buddy, I'm not sure if calling your aunt crazy is very nice of you-"

"Mommy, she is crazy. She was screaming and yelling at you and grandma last week for no reason! Even daddy said she was crazy in the head-"

My heartbeat spikes. "Your father said what?"

"He said-"

A sharp scream pieces the air from within the house, followed by a horrifying wail of agony muffled through the thick door.

"HANNAH! WHAT'S GOING ON IN THERE?" With my pounds on the door and the thrumming in my chest, I could barely hear my own shouts, much less Matty's whisper.

"I told you she was crazy."

~ ~ ~

One Week Ago

"Hannah, could you pass the salmon, please?" My mother beamed at the sight of both her daughters sitting around the table, but the absence of our father loomed over like a brewing stormcloud. Matty and Thomas were sitting beside me, utensils clinking on plates as the two ate in silence. That morning, Thomas had offered to take our son Go-Karting, but I had insisted on visiting his Aunt Hannah and his Grandma Abigail.

Needless to say, it was a decision I would come to regret.

"So how have you girls been?" Mom broke the ugly silence.

Hannah and I stared at one another, failing to hide bitter annoyance.

"You go first." The words barely managed to pass through gritted teeth.

"Well, I went to visit dad's grave last night."

The silence spoke volumes.

"And dad told me you killed him, mom."

~ ~ ~

"HANNAH, OPEN UP!"

"Mommy, someone's at our door with the mail." Unfazed, Matty tugged at my arm again. Through the mounting stress, I quickly shot a glance at the screen of my phone, the mailman dropping off a single letter by the doorbell camera.

~ ~ ~

Dear Mary,

There's someone watching me. Mary, I don't feel safe.. Mary, I'm sorry for last week. Mary, I got an email from dad a month after he died. But I don't think it's actually dad, Mary. I don't know who's talking to me, Mary. I need help, Mary. I need

I'm fine, Mary. I love you.

Love Always,

Hannah