[54.3] THE KING (part-three)

[SILVER RAYNE WILLIAMS]

"Announcing His Majesty, Prince Roman Ace Veridian," the announcer's voice boomed, while my heart thudded behind its cage. "High Lord and Select, Lord Graydon Westwood Collins—"

He paused for a moment, a thick silence in the air.

Although I knew I was blocked behind the prince's frame, concealed behind his stature, I sensed the room's collective awareness of my presence.

The air was thick with tension. I noticed the tick in the announcer's jaw before he spoke again, drawling my name lazily.

"And Miss Silver Rayne—Williams."

The mundane tone of his voice hinted at his disdain for me, but my concerns extended beyond mere pronunciation; I could no longer pretend to be an invisible observer behind the prince's imposing frame.

My gaze rises slowly, my heart ramming against its chest. There are more people here than at my first breakfast with the royal family.

The first Fang I see are the rigid luxurious attires of the two other Lord Selects.

Lord Heil's broad shoulders take up the entire chair, and Lord Banes pretentious's gaze lingers on Lord Graydon for only a second, before focusing more on the prince.

He doesn't even spare me a look.

Hunter's eyes raise from the boredom that it seems he to be in, eyes locking with mine. He seemed surprised at my presence, brows drawing in slightly but they eventually softened.

Lord Valcon's gaze, however, remained inscrutable, darkened yet revealing nothing.

And then, my gaze found my mother's expression—It was frozen. As if she holds her breath at the sight of me. Her eyes are wide, suspended as if in time.

I do not know what to think when I see her. A wide range of emotions flood me. Thoughts of how I'd never see her again when I thought the prince was going to take my life resurfaced. At that moment, I would have given anything for one more chance with her.

But that was before the prince had revealed how the King sought to bury me. Like a dead body. Like I was never alive. Never breathing.

Had she known? My gaze switches back to Lord Valcon. I know— I just knew he had.

Seeing this, I decided looking at her wasn't helping me with my current predicament. My fear could not be jumbled up by questions of her loyalty.

I had more things to worry about.

My gaze returns to the floor. It is not only this reason I look away, I averted my gaze, not only to ease my nerves but also to avoid the unyielding gazes of The Royals that follow.

Lady Elise, The Queen and the King.

The King's eyes are grilled on me.

I know it because I feel them.

I feel them. Like hot coals of utter anger, annoyance, and disgust at the sight of me.

I do not know why I'm still breathing.

It does not help that the prince hasn't said a word to defend my presence yet. Instead, he moves toward the table and I have no choice but to follow quietly.

The silence in the room was deafening, to the point I felt if a pin could drop at the other end of the grand hall even my mortal ears would pick it up.

Lord Graydon bows before the king and Queen, "Your majesties."

"Lord Graydon," The Queen beams with an approving nod and I spot Lord Bane rolling his eyes.