Chapter 60

Astrid

It's actually really interesting what stress can do to one's lifestyle - how much it affects your life.

I haven't really eaten in days. Oh, and remember sleep? Yeah, don't know what that is at the moment. I have neglected my morning runs and afternoon axe throws and it really shows. I hate that. But most of all, I miss spending time with Stormfly. Just the two of us, soaring through the air way above the clouds and having life rush through me like a second heartbeat.

I am a Viking, though. Through and through. When we are attacked, we fight back. When one of us is in danger and in need of saving, we fight even harder. When things get impossible, we fight the hardest.

However...I do not look like such a strong Viking woman right now. After a break, Hiccup pointed out the necessity to keep going - even when it's already nighttime...and the mixture of the dim moonlight and ocean waves colliding with the isle's rockside is like a lullaby singing us to sleep. Yet, we agreed. We couldn't waste any time. To our luck (and Eret's great relief), Skullcrusher found Liv's track again, which is why we're currently hiding on the very island Skullcrusher signaled Liv's presence. We decided to hide in the forest on top of a hill in the hope that we would be able to spot movement or torch lights. So far, nothing.

Nevertheless, considering the situation and the mystic but potentially real and bloodthirsty dragon we could stumble upon, normal people would feel panic crush their chest. I am not normal people. I taught myself how to slow down my heartbeat when I was four. That doesn't mean I am overconfident because I realise how life-or-death this mission is. Because that's what this is: life or death. I saw what was shimmering in Vara's eyes before we left. It's either us or Grimmel. Only one of us will be leaving this island in one piece. She might have not been raised like one, but Vara is a Viking through and through, too. I respect that.

Despite myself, I startle a little at the sharp sound of Snotlout's whisper. "So, are we just going to stay and wait here like juicy bait? I bet I am more delicious than Gobber but I am definitely not going to stand around to find out for sure."

I roll my eyes but I fear he might be right. We cannot sit here and expect something to happen. For all we know, Liv might be in deeper trouble than we know. "Yes, we should go."

Snotlout nods with a stern look on his face. For a second, I remember the way he used to eye me up and down with sultry gazes and welcome every chance he got to get in my good graces. Had I agreed with him back then like I did just now? He would have dropped to his knees and asked me to marry him right then and there. But not only does stress affect one's life, time does even more so. We are at different points now, each and every one of us, I realise as I look around. When my gaze stays glued to a raven-haired girl with piercing green eyes, I lose control over my calming abilities and my heart skips several beats. Heather. My girlfriend. Yes, time does really change a lot.

"Right, let's go," Hiccup says quietly and sideglances at Toothless, who's alarmingly tense and twitching his ears in heedful observation of his surroundings. "Be careful and keep an eye out for anything suspicious or weird."

When Tuffnut grunts "Oh!" and raises - no, stretches his hand far into the air and even starts tippytoeing around, Hiccup presses his lips together and sighs deeply, seemingly preparing himself for what we all know is about to happen. "Yes, Tuff."

Tuffnut takes a deep breath and then says with the voice of a little boy asking for an extra piece of yak steak, "Is that suspicious or weird?"

All of us follow the invisible line of his finger pointing at the trees shaking below us as something large moves through them.