Mysterious Lover (#ache)

As her belly grew taut, she knew her offspring would come any day. She thought of her lover every day since they had met and everytime it brought her pleasure. It didn't matter that after the night she had conceived, she never saw him again.

No male had ever looked at her like that. He'd clearly ached for her and with his handsome, yet unusual looks, the yearning had been mutual.

She thought he must have been of mixed lineage. She couldn't really tell if he was black or white. But the shock of black hair upon his head stood up wild and free, just like him. He hadn't spoken to her, just admired her from afar. They'd circled closer and closer to each other, his intentions clear and her desire plain.

Their passion had been raw, animalistic even–the best night of her life. And then just as he'd appeared, he was gone.

He'd arrived from far away lands and she never thought that this mysterious stranger that had so abruptly entered her life would stay.

She let out a guttural sound as another contraction came, this one stronger than all the others that had preceded it. It was midnight, and she slowly wandered alone outside under a full moon because that is what her natural instincts told her to do.

Her water broke and she stumbled. Finally, she lay down in the shadow of a tree. It should be soon, she thought. But as the minutes passed, the birth occurred and the pain got worse. Warm blood soaked the grass around her. A terrible noise came from the depths of her throat.

Soon help arrived. She heard voices around her but she barely registered them. A medical professional of some sort lifted her leg and reached inside of her. Another pain and then finally the pain relented. She passed out, but as she lost consciousness, her heart sang. The product of her lovemaking had survived the long and traumatic birth.

More people arrived, one with a bright flashlight.

"Well, that's the strangest foal I've ever seen!" said the voice of a farmhand.

"I think you have a zorce," replied the veterinarian.

"A what?" replied the farmhand.

"It looks like that missing zebra paid your mare a visit ten months ago."