Chapter 48

"That's it, milady. You've made it all the way to the library on your own," said Baxter excitedly, a giant beaming smile on her face as she looked back at her winded mistress standing on the threshold. The lady's maid's hands were stretched out in her direction, just in case she needed to steady the lady of the house or even help her stay upright after all this exertion. This was after all the first time she ever tried to take the stairs all on her own.

Still feeling quite light-headed and trying to catch her breath, Cora leaned against the door frame, quite unladylike, with her forehead almost fully resting against the white lacquered wood. But she needed the stability the solid structure offered, and the coolness of the wood felt good on her hot skin after this exhausting trip down from her bedroom. Her eyes closed for a bit, her chest heaving with every breath she took. Despite all the strain her body was under, her face broke into a wide and relieved smile at this feat she just mastered.

Turning her head back around to face her maid, Cora said: "I did, and I could not have done it without you, Baxter. Thank you. But don't say a word to anyone. His Lordship would never forgive me if he found out that I tried without him present."

"My lips are sealed, my Lady," the younger woman smiled as she stepped closer to her employer, reaching out her hands some more. "Let me help you to the settee, you have walked far enough on your own for now."

Cora took the offered hands gratefully and allowed herself to be led to the red cushioned sofas in the library before sinking down on the nearest one and leaning back.

"I will ask Parker to bring up the tea shortly and Nanny will surely bring the kids in soon, if that is okay?"

"Thank you. That sounds perfectly alright, Baxter."

Cora sat back some more and closed her eyes. Slowly, her pulse steadied and she finally felt her lungs taking in sufficient amounts of air, they had felt rather undersupplied since she started her journey down.

And the scar hurt, the whole left side of her torso did. There was an uncomfortable tugging feeling, and she could feel it all pulsate quite heavily underneath her loosely cut blouse. This was not a new sensation, she'd had it before, but she never told anyone. It was beginning to worry her, though. Maybe she should talk to Doctor Clarkson about it, just to be safe. She had made it this far, she could not simply ignore something like this. Not after everything she had been through and after everything Robert and everyone else had done for her.

Before she could dwell more on that, the door to the library opened again and Parker walked in, carrying the tray with tea, the cups, and plates and the children's favourite cake to its designated spot on the table near the grand windows overlooking the gardens.

"Is there anything else you need, milady?" Parker asked, turning around swiftly. "Do you want me to pour you your cup of tea now, or would you prefer me to wait a bit?"

Smiling, Cora retorted: "No, thank you, Parker. I will ask Master George to do that for me, he always offers. That is all for now."

The butler nodded and left the room as quickly as he had entered, the door closing behind him with a very soft thud as Cora's head leaned back against the backrest once more, closing her eyes to rest.

+++++++++++++++++++

"Granny!"

Her head whipped around to look behind her and she saw two children running toward her, a blonde boy who seemed to be growing faster than should be allowed, and he had a little brown-haired girl in tow. Both children bore uncanny resemblances to their parents. Cora had obviously not known Matthew as a child, but Isobel had shown her a picture once upon a time, and George seemed to be the spitting image of his father. They had the same nose, the same mouth, the same blonde hair and those same blue eyes. Caroline was the complete opposite, with her brown hair and brown eyes that resembled Mary so much — only her skin was much more tan than her mother's.