Hopeless

Will lifted the yellow tape that surrounded a small downtown apartment, now turned into a crime scene. The apartment wasn't used as a living space, but as a tarot reading business. It was nicely decorated, with colorful curtains and pots that suited the central desk.

The visiting cards on the desk read 'Valeria Hodge', together with her number and work hours. But the cards were splattered with red drops, and Valeria laid on the floor, a pool of blood oozing from her head. Her face was barely recognizable as the vicious slamming cracked her skull open.

Will assesed the scene, turning to Jack who talked with a local detective. "This is a remarkably violent killing. But is it one that requires the attention of FBI's behavioral unit?" - He questioned.

"Separately, it looks like your typical crime of passion. A tarot reader killed by an angry customer. But, there could be more to it." - Jack turned to the local detective, "Would you fill him in, please?"

The young detective cleared his throat, a worried frown on his face. "So, I think Miss Hodge was not the only victim of this killer. It might seem like a stretch, but there have been 2 other murders in the last month where the victim's heads were bashed open." - He took out a bundle of photos, showing them to Jack and Will. "3 weeks ago, a doctor killed in his office, multiple blows to his head. Then a week ago, a priest, his head repeatedly smashed into a door. It took us the third one to make a connection."

"So, 3 completely different people, all killed in their workplace in the evening, with blows to their heads. Is there a connection, or could it be a coincidence?" - Jack frowned.

"They truly seem to be unrelated. They come from different backgrounds, have completely different jobs, live in different areas... If they are connected, I can't wrap my head around it." - The detective continued, "But it seems too similar to be a coincidence. And I'm worried, so I called you guys in."

Will made a small pause before he spoke as he scanned the photos. "I think they are connected." - He took a step closer to the victim, "But what do a doctor, a priest and a tarot reader have in common?"

"Quite frankly, I have no idea." - The young detective confessed.

Will didn't respond to his own question, but gave a nod to Jack to let him be alone with the victim. Jack reacted instantly, ordering other agents to leave the room.

As the room got quiet, Will could easily step into the killer's mind.
I knock on the door politely. She lets me in without a struggle. She does not know me, but I am not dangerous. I do not seem threatening. I talk to her, and she looks at me with pitying eyes. I ask her a question, but I do not like the anwser, so I pepper spray her until she is defenseless. Then, I smash her head in the table once. It is not good enough to kill her, so I do it again. And again, and again. Now, I am in control. I am not helpless, but powerful. That power gives me hope that I am the sole creator of my destiny. I have no time to despair.

This is my design.

Will opened his eyes and stepped outside.

"So, what do you think?" - Jack asked.

"So, I still want to know what a doctor, a priest, and a tarot reader have in common." - The local detective interrupted before Will could anwser.

"What they have in common, detective, is... Hope." - Will spoke calmly, "A doctor cures illnesses. A priest brings brings peace to those seeking some higher purpose. A tarot reader gives insight to a, hopefully, brighter future."

"So, they kill those who bring hope? But why?" - Jack spoke with a puzzled look.

"The killer is desperate for hope...clings onto it like a lifeline. But the victims can't provide the miracle the killer is looking for, so they get killed instead. It's like a temporary fix. When he kills, he feels more powerful then destiny."

"So..." - The detective stared at Will with admiration, "Do you have any idea who we should be looking for?"

"The killer is someone physically weak who doesn't seem threatening. They didn't have enough strength to kill the victims in one blow. Could be a woman, but my guess is the person is sick." - Will paused, "Because who needs hope more than a sick person?"

"Right." - The detective opened his mouth in awe as Will walked away, pulling Jack together with him.

"That's it for now, Jack, I'll need more time to complete the profile. Because someting feels... Off." - Will spoke quietly while they passed the police tape.

"Fine. I trust you'll do well." - Jack nodded, "The think I've really been wanting to ask is, have you heard from Eliana?"

"We talked on the phone, but she hasn't really been... Talkative." - Will sighed, "I'm hoping she just needs some alone time... But honestly, I can't read her right now."

--------------------------------------------------------------

Eliana parked her car in front of Hannibal's office, sitting in silence for what seemed like hours. Night had already fallen, and she couldn't decide whether the idea of talking to him was smart, or deadly.

*Knock knock* - She jumped at the sound that came from the window.

"How long are you going to sit here?" - Hannibal talked through the glass.

She opened the door with sweaty hands, getting out carefully. "I didn't come for you. I'm just... Thinking."

"One might assume you're stalking me." - His eyes sparked with amusement, "If you need something, just ask. We're close enough."

She kept her distance, looking at the floor. "What could I possibly need from you?"

"I'm not going to do anything to you." - He assesed her nervous posture, "You don't have to stand that far away."

"Yeah." - She gave a snarky smile, "Obviously you aren't going to do anything to me, because you already let me go."

"Are you disappointed you're alive?" - He smirked.

"No." - She anwsered briefly, "I'd just like to know why. I know all your secrets."

"You do?" - His voice betrayed a tone of sarcasm, "I know yours, too."

"But, I did something unexpected, didn't I?" - She furrowed her eyebrows, "I think I have much more on you then you have on me. And still, you let me walk around?"

She scanned his face in hope of finding a trace of nervousness, which could indicate Miriam's sucessful escape.

Hannibal paused for a second, but continued without a trace of emotion. "I think I'll be all right. Whatever mess you made, I can clean up."

The vauge answer made Eliana even more confused. If Miriam escaped, wouldn't he need to know more? If she didn't, why isn't he just saying her plan failed?

"But then, why do I smell fear on you?" - Eliana bluffed.

"My only fear is that you'll bury all the progress we made. Why did you come to me, Eliana?"

Eliana bit her lip, staying completely silent.

"Could the reason be that for once in your life, you felt understood?" - Hannibal spoke in a monotone voice, "Will you just forget about what you said, and meant?"

"You bet I will!" - She said angrily, slamming the car door behind her, "I'm leaving."

--------------------------------------------------------------

Author's note: I really like writing original cases :) stay tuned for more <3