Chapter 7. New Girl

Today, there was a new transfer student.
That has never happened before, ever. Her name is Kimmy. She has a black pixie cut, brown eyes, freckles, and was wearing a black collared shirt and jeans.
When she introduced herself she said, "hi, I'm Kimmy, and I transferred from a private school and I like horses, music, and anime." She instantly became popular, even Amanda and Madison and the others invited her to sit with them (I have to admit, I wanted to ask her as well). Even though she's like an otaku and stuff, the basic popular kids like her a lot. Lauren told me that she's seen this happen before with new kids.
I'm kind of jealous, because Kimmy is literally a less awkward version of me. I feel like I'm going to be replaced by her.
She's what I would be if I kept my cool more often. Grr... maybe it's Chloe's fault.

Anyway, Kimmy skyrockets to fame over the course of the next three days. She's known for her hair (basically every girl in school has long hair) and her deep love for Fruits Basket. Even Devin The Jerk respects her.

Today, I couldn't believe it, she sat at OUR table. The "Cool Non-Cliquey Table" !!! Lauren was bug-eyed with amazement. Kimmy said, "Hi, is it all right if I sit here today? I was getting a little annoyed at the other table." We were all like, "SURE, sure, yes, please do." Everyone is quiet after that. I keep picking at my mac and cheese and looking down. Her nails are black and green.
You know how when you're with your friends, but then someone you don't know well joins your group and everyone is sorta forced into silence? Yeah, THAT kind of awkwardness.
Sabrine, a girl with big eyes, dark curly hair and barrettes, asks the usual "Oh, what are your hobbies?"
"Horseback riding, painting, and I play guitar."
"What clubs are you interested in?"
"Social justice club and anime club."
"How are you liking the school?"
"Very well, I'm glad I've made some friends." Sabrine is very polite and sociable. Kimmy is too, so it's a not-awkward conversation.

After school, Adrien yet again yells at me to come hang out with her (in a nice way) and so I invite her to go to the movies with me and Lauren. My mom drives us there, and we get a medium popcorn, Skittles for Lauren, Milk Duds for me, and Red Vines for Adrien. The movie we see is "High School Musical: The Musical: The Film: The Prequel"
My Milk Duds run out 20 minutes into the movie and Lauren whispers to me that I'm hogging the popcorn. It's a pretty good movie and Adrien said it's "empowering". It's dinner time when we get out of the theatre and Lauren offers to get us all Del Taco. I decline because my mom would definitely kill me if she heard a friend bought me dinner. Adrien reluctantly says bye to us. I think she really wants to be good friends with me. For me, she's just someone who sits at our table. Cruel, I know, but it's the truth.

Mom made pasta for dinner. Chloe gives me a knowing look when I talk about my day and the movie. "Shut up," I mouth to her. "I didn't say anything!" she mouths back. Mom gives us a warning look.
After dinner I flop on my bed as per usual, and check my texts. My jaw drops when I see Kimmy texted me (yes, we exchanged contact info) she said:

Kimmy 🐎
hello

I don't know what to say. Because this isn't just a test message. She already texted "hello. (test)" at lunch. And because I literally didn't exchange more than five words with her at lunch. Now she ACTUALLY wants to talk about something. Maybe I could say "hey?" no, no, she might think I hate her and don't wanna talk. Perhaps a "hi"?

Minji
hi

Kimmy 🐎
what r u doing rn

Minji
abt 2 go 2 sleep

Kimmy 🐎
k. see u tomorrow

Well, I feel rude. Especially because she just exchanged contact info with everyone at our table. And Lauren says I use abbreviations too much. And she probably texted "hey" to everybody. I shouldn't feel special.
I fiddle with the earbud cord. I decide to do something productive before I go to bed. I make three T Swift bracelets ("22", "Mine", "august") and listen to "GUTS" (I'm such a hypocrite). After that, it's midnight and I go to bed. I decide to do something ELSE productive and be my own therapist while I drift to sleep.
INNER MINJI "Why do you feel guilty after literally everything you do?"
MINJI "I don't know."
INNER MINJI "Is it because of feeling like you're doing something wrong regularly?"
MINJI "I guess."
INNER MINJI "You're being a very difficult client."
MINJI "Well, you're a terrible therapist."
INNER MINJI "Fair enough."

Kimmy probably thinks I'm incredibly awkward and at this very moment, is musing to herself how funny it would be to sit at the lunch table and pretend to be my friend. Oh come on, myself, she's super nice. She'd never be phony like that. But what do I know? I literally met her today. Lauren told me sometimes first impressions are interestingly accurate. So I guess I really am incredibly awkward.

I think this imaginary conversation effected my dreams a lot. I had a dream that Kimmy was talking about me and Lauren to Madison & co, and in a flurry of rage I pushed and kicked them all to the ground and ran away. I hope I don't look at them with a cruel look tomorrow because the feelings in that dream seemed so real.