Chapter 7

I had picked up a new hobby—delivering parcels. Sure, it was my job, but there was something satisfying about swiping the "delivered" button after dropping off each package. And nothing beat the joy of getting paid for doing something that brought me happiness. After dropping the last parcel, I drove to the post office to return the van for the next shift's service. As soon as I arrived, my phone buzzed with a notification. It was Erling. I had been avoiding his messages for the past few days because I was too embarrassed. Plus, he didn't text much, understandably, given how busy he was. Summoning up my courage, I opened his text message.

"If you're finished with work for the day, swing by my place. You owe me that protein bar," the message read.

Of course, the protein bar. After returning the van, I rushed to the corner shop to find that specific brand of protein bars, but it wasn't in stock. So, I headed to a bigger grocery store. After scouring every aisle, asking the employees, and finally locating the protein bar he liked, I made the purchase. I boarded the bus to his posh neighbourhood, and upon arriving at the apartment complex, I couldn't help but feel foolish for even coming here. I must have been out of my mind. Just as I turned to leave, my phone began to buzz. He was calling me.

I answered the call, and I could sense his ear-to-ear grin through the phone. "I'm on the 9th floor, the apartment to your left when you exit the elevator," he said. He must have spotted me from his window, leaving me with no choice but to go to him. After taking the elevator, I approached the apartment on the left and rang the doorbell hesitantly. He opened the door, wearing the smile I had anticipated.

"Hey," he greeted, stepping aside and gesturing for me to enter. "Come in."

Holding onto the protein bar, I stepped into his lavish apartment, decorated in a minimalist yet elegant style. I was stunned by the grandeur of his place, but my jaw dropped when I saw the awards showcased on the shelf in the far right corner. Their sparkle drew me in. A man of his talents deserved every one of those awards; he was naturally skilled when he played football. As I was admiring the trophies and commendations, he joined me, standing by my side.

"Which one of these is your favorite?" I asked, tilting my head to glance at him.

He pointed at the most prestigious medal, the Champions League winners' medal. "That one. I will never forget that night in Istanbul."

"I don't think anyone will," I replied, smiling widely as I recalled that match. City's first-ever Champions League title, a dream come true for so many. It must've been surreal for him.

I shook my head to snap back to reality, then turned to him and extended my hand to offer him the protein bar. "Here's your beloved protein bar. If that's all, I'll get going."

He grabbed it from my hand, and I moved toward the door to leave, but he unexpectedly grabbed my arm, causing my heart to skip a beat. "Wait, there's something I didn't tell you," he said, his grip loosening as he released my arm. "You asked if my hug is your cure."

"I'm sorry for that, I was blurting nonsense. Midnight thoughts—" I began to offer excuses, but he interrupted me, not allowing me to finish my words.

"Do you want to find out?" He raised his eyebrows and his shoulders relaxed as he rested his crossed arms against his chest.

I felt like I misheard, and I needed him to repeat. "I'm sorry, what?"

"Do you want to hug and find out if it really is your cure?" A smirk played on his lips, as if he was teasing me, clearly enjoying the moment.

I wasn't going to indulge in his game. Sensing that he was just toying with me, I sighed and turned to leave. But he grabbed my arm again, this time with more force, pulling me towards him. I was surprised, and when I looked up, I realised we were only a couple of inches away from each other. I could almost feel his breath against my skin. He stepped away upon realising our closeness, prompting a sigh of relief from me as I closed my eyes.

"Okay, let's give it a try," I conceded to the idea, but not without conditions. "However, there are no feelings attached to it. It's just a hug; even strangers hug each other."

He smiled in agreement. "Definitely, I have no objections. Now, follow me." Still holding onto my arm, he guided me to a spacious living room with a stunning couch at its center. The room was dimly lit, exuding a calming atmosphere that made me feel secure. He released my arm and settled onto the couch, tapping the spot beside him as an invitation for me to join him.

I settled myself beside him and cleared my throat, preparing for his hug. He didn't immediately embrace me. I could sense his gaze upon me, prompting me to turn and meet his eyes. His lips slowly curved into a smile, and a part of me found him adorable. His piercing blue eyes were stunning, deep enough to get lost in. I gulped as my breathing quickened; he looked so good.

"What's with that look?" He tilted his head, analysing my demeanor, causing my eyes to widen as I looked away. Of course, I had made a fool of myself again.

As I regretted meeting his gaze, his arm slowly encircled my shoulders, pulling me closer to him. His large, warm hand cradled me against his broad chest, and I could once again feel the strength of his frame. I had forgotten how beautifully built his body was. His other arm wrapped around my waist as he laid both of us down onto the couch comfortably.

"You can place your legs on the couch," he said, almost instructing me, and I followed his guidance without hesitation. "Relax a little; you're allowed to hug me back," he remarked, encouragingly.

My arm wrapped around him, and I closed my eyes, resting my head on his chest. He felt so warm and sturdy. Gradually, my thoughts dissolved into a mist, and my eyes grew heavy with sleep. All I could do was surrender to the peace enveloping me. A smile formed on my lips as I allowed myself to fall asleep.