Chapter 5

It was about time I started working again, and with the help of my mum, I landed a job as a delivery driver for a local courier company. The hours were flexible, and the pay was decent. With a few months of work, I could save up enough to afford university tuition. While my mum suggested taking out student loans like everyone else, I was hesitant due to the financial struggles my family faced in the past because of loans and debts. I preferred to save up and pay my own way.

"Perhaps Tilly should consider finding a job too," Mum suggested with a hint of humor as I adjusted the cap on my head, preparing to head out for deliveries.

She let out a loud sigh. "I'm a year younger than Aria. I'll consider finding work next year."

"This girl is so difficult. Anyway, good luck with the deliveries, honey," Mum waved me goodbye.

"Thanks, Mum. Bye." I quickly gave Olly a pat before heading out.

Once I reached the courier office, I collected the van already loaded with parcels by the previous driver. With a list of addresses on the app, I drove while reminiscing about practicing car driving with my mom. I passed my driving test at 18 after she taught me. She always compared driving a car to solving a puzzle, constantly fitting pieces together to navigate smoothly.

As I drove to the address, I realised I was in the posh area of the city and it made me a little uneasy. I continued to the postcode after double-checking the address, which brought me in front of a luxury apartment complex. After parking the car in front of the building, next to a red Audi RS6 which was a beautiful car, I went behind the van and picked up the designated parcel before walking into the reception. Handing over the parcel to the receptionist and marking it delivered on the app made me smile widely, as it meant there was one less delivery to make. After bidding farewell to the receptionist, I headed out of the building, but because I was so focused on the app and searching for the next parcel's address, I bumped into the person who was making their way into the building, and I made them drop their duffel bag.

"I'm so sorry." I hurriedly apologised and reached for the bag, but we seemed to reach for it at the same time. Our hands brushed against each other's, and I quickly stood up straight, as did he once he picked up the bag. It was him, once again. "Erling, hi." I greeted, my voice shaking slightly.

"It's you, we meet again," he appeared so surprised. "Are you following me? We saw each other just week ago."

"No, look." I pointed at my shirt in defense. "I am a delivery driver, and I was here to deliver a parcel."

"Must've been my parcel." He tilted his head trying to look at the reception. "I was just joking, relax. You look so tense."

He was right. I was tense, not because he accused me of following him, but because every time I saw him, all I could think about was his comforting hug, which was so gentle and warm. I became envious of my past self for experiencing such a peaceful slumber in his arms, something I could not have now. Back then, I allowed the hug because I knew I would never see him again. But encountering him repeatedly made it increasingly difficult for me.

"I'll be on my way then. Goodbye, Erling." I started to walk away, but his voice calling my name made me pause.

"Aria," he continued, "have you been sleeping well?"

This question. I hated this question. Yet, when he asked, there was a certain calmness and sincerity to it. Last time, I failed to answer him because of Tilly, but this time I could not dodge it. "To be honest," I sighed as I turned around to look at him, "no."

He paused, and a weighty silence descended, but he broke it. "If you ever need help, you can reach out to me."

One silence followed by another. I found it hard to form a response, so I let my heart speak. "I would like that that."

He gave me a wide smile before taking my phone, which I was still holding. He quickly typed his number and saved it as 'Erl' before handing it back to me.

"I'll see you soon." He winked at me before heading into the building.

I attempted to keep my composure while he was still within view, but once he disappeared from sight, I let out a scream filled with self-reproach. It was a scream tinged with embarrassment. Jumping into the van, I gripped the steering wheel tightly. "Aria, you're such an idiot. Why did you say you would like that?" I muttered to myself, chastising my own foolish response. Then, his face flashed before my eyes, his mischievous wink burned into my memory. Doubts crept in. Was he playing a game? My cheeks flushed as I entertained the worst possibilities. Many football stars were notorious for toying with women's hearts. What if he was one of them? Yet, conflicting thoughts swirled in my mind. Whenever he spoke to me, his voice brimmed with concern, always seeming sincere.

For the next couple of hours, I made a conscious effort to push thoughts of Erling aside and focus solely on the deliveries. I completed almost ten deliveries before returning the van to the courier and calling it a day. Upon arriving home, dinner awaited me, along with Tilly and Olly. Mum had left for a night shift at work.

"I'm absolutely starving." I hurried to the dining table and grabbed my plate of spaghetti.

"How did the deliveries go?" Tilly inquired as she ate her spaghetti.

"They went smoothly," I replied absentmindedly because my focus was on the meal in front of me.

"Anything interesting?" She pressed on with her inquiry.

"I bumped into Erling," slipped out unintentionally, and I realised my slip-up only after the words left my mouth.

She dropped her fork onto the plate. "You what? Again?" A grin spread across her face. "If I wasn't your sister, I would've told you that you're destined to be together."

"Shut up." I took another bite, annoyed by her comments but also intrigued. "But why wouldn't you say that me, as my sister?"

"Oh? So you're into him?" She snickered. "You want me to tell you that you two are meant to be?"

"Absolutely not. You're bothering me, just eat." I rolled my eyes.

"The main reason you and him aren't destined is because you're both from different worlds. He's a football star, and he wants someone who looks good next to him in the public eye - a model, an actress, or a diva." She continued despite my request, and her hand gestures became more exaggerated as she spoke. "You look like a raccoon with those eyes. Keeping that aside, people like us can only dream. We can't even dare to touch that world. People like him use people like us for their satisfaction. Once they're done with us, they'll throw us out the window like yesterday's trash."

Her words cut deep like wounds. "First of all, I do not look like a raccoon. Secondly, Erling isn't like that."

"Sure, I knew you would say that." She smirked. "Just be careful, Aria. My words may sound cliché, but these football stars are known for playing around with girls."