Chapter 11. Life chanages

Thursday

"You're going to Miami with the guys instead of being at Whitely baby shower?" Renae crossed her arms and pouted

I tried to explain that the trip had been planned for weeks in advance and I had already committed to going with the guys. But she was not having any of it. Her pregnancy hormones seemed to be amplifying her emotions, turning what should have been a simple misunderstanding into a full-blown disagreement.

"Renae, come on. Isn't baby shower a more of a women's event? I thought you would want some girl time with your sister and the other ladies. Plus, you know I wouldn't miss it if it was something really important."

She rolled her eyes and huffed, clearly not buying my attempt to change her mood. "I'm not having this debate. Go have fun in Miami filled with skinny models walking around in bikinis," she snarled sarcastically, her tone dripping with annoyance.

She was being dramatic which isn't like her. "Nae, you know full well I only have eyes for you in a bikini," I stated, lighting her mood.

"Oh yea sure while I'm looking like a beach whale," she muttered with sarcasm, munching on strawberries.

"Hey now, you're glowing with that pregnancy radiance," I reassured her, reaching out to gently rub her growing belly. Despite her initial annoyance, I could see a hint of a smile playing at the corner of her lips.

"I'm sorry I'm being snarky about the trip. My hormones are making me grouchy," she frowned.

"It's okay, babe. Pregnancy can be tough," I said, pulling her into a warm embrace. "How about a pampering session for my queen?" I suggested, scooping her up.

She looked up at me with a smile on her face, "I guess that could work," she smiled brightly.

I carried her to the living room couch, careful not to jostle her growing belly, and settled her in comfortably with pillows and blankets. I fetched her favorite snacks and put on her favorite movie, all the while rubbing her feet and gently massaging her shoulders.

As the afternoon passed, her mood visibly lifted and she seemed more at ease. We laughed together, bonded over shared memories, and just enjoyed each other's company. It was a simple gesture, but it meant a lot to her. Both our  schedule has been really busy recently, so it's a content moment when you get the chance to relax together with no interruptions.

As the evening approached, she leaned her head on my shoulder and whispered, "Thank you for being so understanding, and for taking care of me even when I'm being moody and over dramatic."

I kissed the top of her head and wrapped my arms around her. In that moment, I realized that sometimes, the simplest acts of gesture and understanding can make all the difference in the world dealing with the mood swings of a pregnant woman, I thought to myself, smiling down at her.