eleven

The morning was calm for a while.

Akako had convinced Aoi to come out of their room to eat breakfast. She still couldn't quite convince him to get out of the kitchen once they heard Aki and Denji wake up, so they ate their toast on the tiled floor.

Akako was used to Aki's schedule. She knew it would be a few more minutes before he was getting breakfast. What she wasn't prepared for, was Denji zooming into the kitchen the second he woke up and smelled toast.

Aoi squealed and whined, burying his face in Akako's shirt as he hid from the devil hybrid. The idea of being terrified of one hybrid but seek comfort in the other was contradictory, but Aoi wasn't one to think about that.

"Good morning, Denji!" She smiled at him. His eyes widened as he processed the girl before him.

Soft, warm... Tits, Was all he could fully process. He did notice her long black hair and waist, but his focus was elsewhere.

"Would you like some toast too?" she offered, pointing his eyes towards a plate of bread. Aoi peaked out at Denji, still afraid.

"Yes!" Denji grinned widely.

Akako stood up. Her hips brushed his leg as she placed a piece of bread into the toaster.

Damn... He thought as he watched something begin to pop up instantly(not the toast). He appreciated all women, but he thought Makima was the best looking woman he had ever seen. However, watching Akako make breakfast for him like a wife did something to him he wasn't ready for. He barely registered the little kid glaring at him unsurely.

"Hey," he mumbled and leaned closer to her. "So... can you put strawberry jam on it?"

~

Aki had never been so annoyed. Living with Akako- fine, she was clean and careful. She did bring home another person to care for, but she took care of them so it wasn't really a responsibility he had to worry about. Denji though... was a different story.

He was chaotic, messy, and everything Aki despised.

"You alright, Aki?" Akako asked as she buttoned up Aoi's coat. She was wearing an apron and a simple dress underneath it. She blinked up at him, her brown eyes like a doe's.

He nodded and turned away. His heart was beating faster and his face was tinted red, but he felt his stomach sink. It felt like cheating on Makima to lo- be attracted to Akako. However, how couldn't he like her? She was-

Wait, what was he thinking about?

"Aoi, you're going to go to school," Akako explained. "Will you be okay?"

"Yeah," Aoi mumbled. He fiddled with his backpack.

Akako smiled down at him. She stood up straight and offered a hand to the little boy. "First day, let's go!"

Aoi smiled widely and dragged her along the stairs. He waved her away once he saw a few other kids walking to school.

"Be safe!" she called out to him.

He nodded confidently. One of the other kids glanced at the new kid.

"Is that your sister?" the kid asked.

"Um, no... that's my mom," he said proudly.

Akako nearly started bawling her eyes out right then and there.

~

"A devilman appeared in a residence in east Nerima ward," the officer told the three devil hunters. "At present, civilians have been evacuated and we've sealed off the building."

Akako rubbed her arm. It was a bit chilly out. I hope Aoi is having fun...

"The target is holed up in a room on the second floor. We'll leave the rest to you."

She glanced around the area. It was a nice house, if it wasn't so devil-infested. She imagined living in a whole house and how nice it would be.

"Hey, what's a devilman?" Denji whispered to her.

She chose to ignore him. What is a devilman?

Aki seemed to know, saving her from an awkward conversation. "Say what? Did you not even get an elementary education?"

"Yep, never been to any school," Denji responsed way more casually than she would have.

She looked over at Aki to gage his opinion on that. He just looked shocked. Is that a good or bad thing?!

"Probs a bad thing," a gruelling, familar voice commented.

Get out of my head, she mentally told the Mind Devil.

"I'm not in your head?"

She groaned. Luckily, neither Denji or Aki heard. Aki was too busy multi-tasking breaking into the house and explaining what a devilman was.

"A devil who's taken over a human corspe, that's a devilman," Aki explained.

"Not like you. You basically absorbed my power," the Mind Devil commented to her.

Denji hummed in thought. "Doesn't that make me one?"

"No. The shape of devilman's head is its characteristic." Aki glanced at her, studying her like she would have suddenly became devilish. His lips became a flat line. "Well, you'll get it when you see it." He kicked down a door.

Inside, a old man with pincers by his nose was hunched over porn magazines while eating a dead bird. Her stomach twisted with pity for the bird.

"A devilman has the devil's personality," Aki said. He was blocking Akako from being in the room... "This time you kill it."

"You're a damsel, huh," the Mind Devil said amusedly to her. She wished they were corporeal so she could punch them.

"Show me the power you got by becoming a devil, so I can judge how useful you'll be." Aki scooted to the middle of the doorway, now full on shielding her from doing her job.

She stood on her tiptoes and looked over his shoulder. She could just barely see what was happening.

"Don't look at me!" the devilman had a squawky voice like the bird it had been eating had infected its vocal cords. "Kill! KILL! I'LL KILL YOU FUCKING DEVIL HUNTERS-"

Denji cut off its head with an axe. The newly decapitated head hit the ground with a "thunk!".