five

Akako accidentally slept well into the morning. It seemed to be around lunch time when she woke up. She pushed herself up and a piece of paper fell onto her legs assumingly from her chest.

At work. You can take the day off. I have a dinner planned with a coworker- you are coming too.

- Love, Makima

Akako wasn't sure how to feel. She did want to work- but always wasn't opposed to having a day to sleep. She was mainly focused on how she was going to have to talk to people that night.

She considered herself fairly social. However, she did not enjoy having to go to social events- mainly because she had never gone to one. What would she talk about with devil hunters? "Hey, the man who raised me was a devil and I haven't fought any devils even though I am now a devil hunter. What do you do?" She rolled her eyes at herself, knowing she was over-thinking it.

She hopped off Makima's bed. What could Akako do at the moment? She was in a someone else's house- leaving was rude and staying was also rude.

A husky trotted over to her. It looked like a typical husky- black fur on top and white/beige-ish belly and gorgeous blue eyes that made her coo at it.

"What's your name, baby?" she asked it as she ruffled the fur on its face.

"That's Cookie," Makima answered. She walked into the bathroom with shopping bags.

"Hi, Cookie." Akako scritched its ear. It laid onto her legs and she began to pet its belly. "Is work over?"

"For today," Makima answered. Akako didn't think it was a good enough answer, but went along with it anyway.

Makima lowered herself on the ground next to Akako. The devil hunter head leaned onto the girl, watching her pet the husky.

"I bought clothes for you. So you can wear something nice for the dinner," Makima made conversation. Akako nodded along to what her new boss said.

~

The evening came. Akako glared at the dress she was supposed to wear- Makima wasn't wearing a dress, why was she? And devil hunters should wear clothes that make it easier to fight in. Dresses were nice, but restricting.

It looked okay, fitting her curves well. She honestly liked it, but she knew it wasn't going to help in case she was ever in a fight.

She had a few clothes, but had left them in holes in trees to hide. She needed to go back to collect them soon.

"You look beautiful," Makima said softly, wrapping her arm around Akako's waist. Thr girl wasn't shocked by the sudden presence. The devil hunter head rested her head on the girl as she moved Akako closer. Makima wore a classy light blue blouse and black pants. Her hair was in its normal braid, Akako didn't think she had seen the head without a braid.

Akako smiled, trying to not look awkward- even though she was feeling that way. Tiramisu bounced up to them, bumping its nose into Makima's leg. The head dropped one hand down to pet the dog's head.

Akako took a deep breath, smelling roses and tobacco from Makima. She wondered if many devil hunters smoked. It wouldn't shock her.

~

Makima did not leave Akako's side as they traveled to a different apartment complex. It seemed like either their hands were intertwined or their shoulders bumped when they walked.

They eventually stood outside a door. Makima reached out to knock before the door was opened harshly.

One of the devil hunters she had seen when she first met. He was the one with the ponytail.

"Miss Makima, how are you?" he greeted the devil hunter head. It seemed to be formal and stoic, but Akako could tell he was flustered. The smell of curry drafted through the air- but the soft, far away sound of bubbles popping made her wonder if it was still cooking.

"I'm very good. Are we too early?" Makima frowned, but it didn't look genuine. Her eyes seemed indifferent to it all. Akako took note of it.

"No, you're fine. I made a mistake and began to cook late," Aki apologized. Akako could tell that wasn't the truth. Aki seemed like he would rather die than not do things on time.

Makima smiled at him, though it seemed victorious.

"Have you met Akako?" she asked, gesturing to the girl beside her.

"Is she the new recruit?" Aki asked. He didn't look at Akako as he said that.

"She joined yesterday. I was hoping to talk to you about her living conditions during dinner." And with that, they all went inside.

The apartment was well organized. Akako disliked it. It reminded her of hotels, which she didn't mind. However, in her opinion an apartment should feel lived in and a little messy. Aki's apartment looked too nice for her taste.

Aki led them to the dining table. Makima gracefully sat down and Akako tried to mimic it in the hopes it would be the most polite way.

"I'll try to finish dinner quickly." He went back to the kitchen.

Makima turned her attention to Akako.

"How do you feel about this place?" Makima asked in a whisper. Akako remembered the comment how they were going to talk about living conditions.

"Its nice," Akako answered in a whisper as well.

Makima nodded, although her eyes left Akako in a way Akako could only see as dejected.

Aki came back with plates of curry and rice. He placed them down in front of the two and sat down himself. They all bowed a little as they said their thanks.

Makima took the first bite of food. Aki began to eat a few seconds after. Akako waited a few seconds, enjoying the smell as she finally took a bite.

Aki was a good cook. If she ever did live there, atleast the food was going to be good. She savored the taste of her first bite. She was even more excited to take her second bit.

Makima began casual conversation, talking about work and possible missions for the future. Akako had no idea what to talk about it, occasionally being asked a question and answered based off her rather minimal knowledge. Occasionally, Aki complained about devils specifically. He grilled on and on about it as she listened awkwardly. She knew all about the violent nature of devils- but she still considered some as good. Especially Fuwa Fuwa.

She took another bite as a silence falled. The other two didn't have any other small talk to make, apparently.