Dove

My alarm goes off, a loud ringing noise, leaving a path in my ears. I groan. I stretch my arm to the alarm clock, smashing my hand against it to turn the noise off, harder than I meant to. I listen to nothing, enjoying the absence of no noise.

I yawn and sit up. My vanity is opposite the bed, so I can see what I look like: black hair in need of some gel to restore it to its shiny look; grey eyes peering tiredly underneath my hair, not used to waking up early again after the 2 week Christmas holiday. My beige skin was unclean, my face finding a new pimple overnight. I rub it self-consciously and sigh.

I get up and head to the bathroom, stripping myself to shower. After I finish, I wrap my plain white towel around me and go back to my room. I regrettably take out my school uniform, hating the thick blazer. I dress into it, then take out my hair, blow drying it. It falls straight down my back, hanging at my waist. I rub body butter on my arms and legs, and some face cream on my face, gently over the pimple. It was so tempting to pop it, but I knew it would only make it worse.

Once I was sure I was ready, I pick out a pretty pink lipgloss and apply it, pocketing it inside my blazer.

There. All done.

I pick up my phone and also put it in a blazer pocket, exiting my bedroom. I look along the hallway. My parents' bedroom door was open, along with my elder brother's, Luke. I walk down the stairs into the kitchen, grabbing a piece of toast that was on a pile of 3 others, and head to the dining room.

Luke is sat down, munching on an apple. He lifts his head up and doesn't say anything, raising his eyebrows in acknowledgment. He's 19, in university, studying Accounting and Finance, however he's only required to go in 3 days a week, (Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday), so he's looking to get a side job as a substitute teacher in my school. His wavy brown hair falls elegantly in his eyes. Grey like mine. His hair is my dad's, the only different between us two. We could pull off twins if we really needed to.

I sit down with him, eating my toast. I open my phone to 146 notifications from WhatsApp, on a group chat with my 3 best friends: Lola, Maya and Alina. The group chat itself had no name, just a series of random emojis. I open the group, not bothering to read the messages. I was excited to see my friends again. I loved them with all my heart.

I look up, placing my phone back down and wiping my hands. Luke is watching me.

"That's disgusting." He says.

"You're disgusting." I retort back.

He snorts. "At least wash your hands."

I roll my eyes, and then get up exaggeratedly, heading over to the kitchen sink and washing my hands. I dry them a little bit, then go back to Luke, and splash the water in his face.

He makes a noise, and jumps up in shock.

"Dove, politely, go to he-"

"Children, you're going to wake up Rosie." Luke is interrupted by my mother, Annabel West. Everyone knew her in the town of Ashfield. Of course they did.

I sigh, sitting back down.

"I have something to tell you, Dove." Mum says, looking at me, her black hair falling out of her ponytail, my resemblance to her. She had clearly just woken up.

"Yes?" I ask, waiting for her to continue.

"Whatever they say at school, don't believe it."

That was weird, but I nod anyway. "Okay." I wonder what she meant by that?

She smiles gently. "My dear girl." I smile back, then look back at my phone as it pings. A message from Alina. She and her elder sister, Rowan, were here to pick me up.