Chapter 7- We Can Be Heroes (and Responsible Student Council Members)

Who could've guessed that falling onto hard ground from a high height twice in less than twenty-four hours would leave every inch of your body screaming in pain? I try my best not to focus on it, but rather on the girl wedged under the podium. The girl who probably heard everything. The girl who saw me use my powers. The girl who's in that idol group that my sister won't stop obsessing over. The girl who always laughs like 'huhehe'. That girl. Maya Yamato. Say it forward, say it backwards, it's the same.

Why is that phrase stuck in my head now? I don't even like idols! I don't even listen to idol music, nor do I listen to Pastel*Palettes! Not willingly at least. Dang, now that song with the shuwa shuwa's is stuck in my head.

Don't think about that either! You just told a secret that the freaking Happy Phantom Thief told you not to tell anyone, revealing that you had superpowers, and to top it, Maya freaking Yamato overheard everything!

I stare at the idol, and she stares at me back. We both must look like deer caught in spotlights right about now. I don't even know how many seconds we were locked in awkward eye contact, but however long it was, it was long enough for Chihiro to make his way from the back of the theater to the stage without me noticing. The hands that find their way onto my shoulders from seemingly nowhere spin me around and bring me back to reality.

"That was awesome!" Chihiro exclaims, giving me a shake that's a little too enthusiastic. It makes my world spin as my head is thrust around. "I can't believe it! My new bro is a superhero! Could use some work on that hero landing though."

He stops violently shaking me as a thud on the stage floor grabs his attention. It takes a moment for my vision to refocus after the vigorous shaking, but as it does, I observe Maya rubbing the back of her head as she extricates herself from under the podium. She notices that Chihiro now knows that she's here, and quickly picks herself up.

"Oh, sweet, Maya is here. We can confirm with her that we're done and ready to finally head home." The gears visibly turn in Chihiro's head as he realizes what Maya being here means. "Wait... were you eavesdropping on us?"

He asks this very casually. Like it's no biggie. Not like those secrets were that big of a deal or anything...

"I haven't been dropping any eaves. I-I didn't overhear anything important, I promise!" Maya avoids eye contact and twiddles her thumbs together. "I, uhh... well, I might have overheard a little. Nothing too important... just something about Tsurumaki Tech having a secret lab hidden here, The Happy Phantom Thief telling Y/N to keep it a secret, and Y/N having powers..."

Overheard a little? More like she overheard the entire thing! Maya notices my face contort into a painful frown. It was a frown partially born from a literal pain in my ass from that fall onto a wooden stage, but mostly from her admission of having 'overheard a little'. The look on her face tells me she can read my face. The look on Chihiro's face tells me he can read no one's face.

"D-don't worry, I won't tell anyone." Maya says. "B-but..."

Maya pauses. It's clear she wants to say something, but she's struggling to say whatever it is.

"But what?" Chihiro tilts his head. "Is this the part where Y/N gets blackmailed?"

If she's going to blackmail me, then she has no confidence in doing so. I'm not sure exactly how intimidated I would be to get blackmailed by a girl who's a stuttering mess.

"Y-you have the same powers as Melody, right?" She looks at me, then back at Chihiro.She takes a deep breath, then thrusts herself into a deep bow. "Please let me make equipment for you!"

This is... not what I was expecting. Maya then stands back up straight, and I can see her eyes light up with excitement as her voice abandons all sense of uncertainty.