Chapter 6- Awkward Dinners, Rats, and the Princess of Darkness

Arisa stares at me with a confused expression for a few seconds before she speaks up.

"Y/N... What are you doing up there?" Arisa asks.

C'mon, Y/N. Think of a reasonable reason I would be up here. Tae just said I flew up here, but Arisa didn't comment on that.

"I uhh... saw a spider?"

Arisa raises an eyebrow at me while folding her arms. Looks like I'll have to elaborate so she'll buy it.

"And I uhh... saw that it was dusty up here?" I continue.

"Y/N..." She starts. "You don't have to go that far to clean this place. Just a simple dusting and sweeping of everything that touches the floor is good."

"R-right. Silly me..."

With caution, I adjust my grip on the beam I'm embracing, orchestrating a maneuver to ease my fall to the ground below. I hit the ground, and all I can focus on is that drum solo below me. It feels like that sensation is building up once more. It's starting to feel like I'm going to overflow. If I let it go again...

"But, seriously, what were you doing that caused the whole place to sha-"

"I'vegottogodosomething!" I shout out and rush out of the room.

"Hey, wait! You're not done cleaning yet! Wait, did you break this?! You're going to pay for that!" Arisa shouts at me as I exit, but I don't pay attention. At a speed that I've only accomplished with Hina pushing me, I make a mad dash out of Ryuseido and through the streets as the red afterglow of the sun begins to dim the streets.

Why me? Why now? Why did I have to get injected with that serum? What now? Do I become a hero? Rise up to take Melody's place? No, no, no. That's way too much responsibility. I'm not cut out to be a hero. Heroes are strong, confident, and fearless. I'm just a mess of anxiety and self-doubt who can't control anything in his life.

And what if I can't control it? What if I accidentally hurt someone? I don't want that. Please, universe, can I just be normal?

Maybe if I ignore it, it'll go away. Yeah, that's it. I'll just pretend this never happened. Powers? What powers? It's all in my head. Just try and relax, Y/N. I slow to a stop and rest my hand on a streetlight while catching my breath. Just ignore it...

I feel a burst of energy emanate from my hand, causing the streetlight to fall down. A resounding metallic clang echoes through the night as the fractured pole collapses onto the unforgiving sidewalk. I swiftly glance around, checking for any witnesses before resuming my frantic sprint.

"C'mon, stop stop stop."

Despite my plea to myself, the seemingly uncontrollable surges persist. Every few seconds, I feel the tingling build up before inadvertently unleashing another burst from my hand. I'm so sorry, sidewalk.

I'm hardly paying attention to my surroundings. I just know the path home, and I need to get there as fast as possible. I'm hardly aware of my surroundings, fixated solely on the path leading home. I'm not stopping for anything. Not even streets.

"Hey, watch it!" A voice calls out accompanied by the sound of a bike screeching to a halt as it honks. "You tryin' to get yourself killed?"

I watch as a delinquent looking girl on a bike speeds right towards me. She's trying to stop, but there won't be enough time. My instincts kick in, and I stumble to the side at the last second to avoid the oncoming collision. For just a split second, I get a good look at my assailant. Short dyed blond-hair mostly tucked under a helmet, red sukajan jacket jacket with a rabbit, and dark-gold eyes that glance my way, glaring daggers as her pupils lock onto mine.