Chapter 2- The Boppin Student Council

After the grueling two laps, I now realize that not only am I badly out of shape, I also have terrible stamina. First period isn't even over, yet I feel like death. To make things worse, trying to use the school's shower sucks no matter where you go. But at least gym class is over. Second period is with our home room teacher, who will also be our English teacher. As I finish cleaning up, I notice that I'm running late... again. I can't seem to get to anything on time today, can I?

As I reach the classroom, I see that I'm the last one in and all of the seats but one are taken. It's all the way in the back corner by the window, right behind Ran. Many of the students look well prepared while some are clearly exhausted and ready to fall asleep after gym class. She's busy chatting with Moca, who appears to be sitting right next to her. Maybe I'll be able to finally get the reason why I should look out for the student council. Most of the other students look like they've already formed their cliques and are chatting amongst each other.

Then there's the teacher. She's standing up by the board, clearly waiting for me to sit down so she can start class. Since she isn't urging me to sit down, she must be more laid back and willing to let students settle down before class starts. At least I hope so. I don't think I can take more than one teacher with the personality of our gym teacher.

Not wanting to hold up class for too long, I walk to the open chair with no one really acknowledging my existence and take a seat. Even with me and the rest of the class being seated, the teacher still persists in idling. Among the cacophony of conversations, I can hear two students whispering by me talking about yours truly.

"Yeah, he said that he's from Yumekawa and saw the fight himself." The first one, Himari, whispers to the other girl who I recognize as Tsugumi. I recall Ran's warning about avoiding Tsugumi during lunch if she found out I was new here. She never revealed the reason with her being cut off by the coach.

"Really? So today's his first day?" Tsugumi inquires.

Himari nods.

"Yeah, I was really hoping he'd tell me about the fight, or at least show me photos, but Ran had to step in and spoil the fun..."

I keep to myself, acting like I can't hear them clearly talking about me. They do realize they whisper really loud, right? Their consent looks they keep shooting at me don't help conceal their gossip either. I still want to ask Ran the reason why I should avoid going to the student council room, but I feel as though I shouldn't with Tsugumi currently acknowledging my existence.

A loud thud signals the class to stop talking, and everyone shuts up immediately. My eyes shoot to the front of the class where the teacher had clearly just dropped textbooks on the floor. It didn't seem accidental, but rather intentional. A way to get everyone to stop talking.

"Good morning class!" My name is Mrs. Aoki and I will be your homeroom teacher this year."

The teacher quickly scribbles her name across the board in fancy calligraphy.

"Alright, I know you all just had PE together, but I'm going to assume that you were all fighting for your lives instead of socializing. Now for your favorite part of class on the first day, introductions!"

A collective groan escapes the students of the class.

"I know, I know. Most of you are familiar with each other from being in class 1-A last year.. However, we have some new faces joining us."

Her explanation doesn't seem to make anyone more excited about self introductions. I mean, does anyone actually like the awkwardness that is self introductions?

"Alright, let's start with..." Her eyes scan the classroom. As quickly as her gaze reaches students, they avert their gaze as if their lives depended on it. I try to avert my gaze as well, but I'm not quick enough.