l u k e

t w o

i don't know why but i couldn't get that girl out of my damn head. ever since i left the park the only thoughts in my head surrounded adora. my normal questions about the universe that corrupted my mind were replaced by the questions i had for adora.

my house was empty - which didn't surprise me - but what did surprise me was how cold it was. i walked to the dial on the wall that controlled the temperature of the house and saw that it was turned down all the way to sixty degrees.

"don't touch that!" my mum screeched and jumped onto my back, making me scream and push her down.

"what the h-"

"don't say bad fucking words, ben!"

"no, mum, it's luke. ben's away at college, remember?"

"hello lukey," she smiled up at me.

"what are you doing here?" i asked quietly and smoothed her tangled hair.

"the hospital let me out early, lukey. they said i'm getting better."

i smiled sadly down at her, "i'm glad."

"these are my new meds," she handed them to me, "they said to give them to you."

"where's dad?"

"sleeping. like you should be," her hands that were covered in scratches held my face gently, "you have facial hair. and your lip healed."

my tongue poked out to fiddle with my lip ring i had gotten right before her accident.

"does it look stupid?"

"of course not, you could never look stupid. you're my handsome little boy."

"i guess i am," i whispered, my voice cracking slightly.

"you have facial hair!"

"i know, mum."

she used to be a painter. she could paint on anything; houses, canvases, floors, walls, even people. the last painting job she did was on a two story house. a little boy hit the ladder on accident and she fell. ever since then she's been a little off and she's lost her short-term memory.

"i already said that, didn't i?"

i nodded, "why does the house have to be sixty degrees? it's cold."

"it reminds me of spring."

"i'm going to make it warmer, okay? i won't sleep if it's not warmer."

"you don't sleep either way, lukey."

"i-i know," i looked down at me feet before wrapping my arm under her arms, "let's get you into bed."

she sighed, "okay."

i helped her walk to her bedroom and then helped her into the bed.

"luke?" my father groggily said.

"i have mum."

"thank you," he sighed and took my mum away from me.

she kissed me goodnight before letting me go to my room. it would have been fine but she called me ben, again.

when i got to my room i quickly stripped down to just my boxers before climbing into my bed. it sucked not having a mum that was stable and could actually do the motherly things. my dad wasn't much better. the accident took a toll on him too considering his wife lost her mind.

soon my brain went back to thinking of adora. i hated this. i had only talked to her for a short period of time, why couldn't i stop thinking of her? maybe it was because of all of the questions i had yet to ask her. i wanted to know so many things about her.