Chapter 9: Gym (Victoria)

I pulled into the parking lot of the gym, I got out of my car and took  my bag out from the passenger seat. I walked up to the gym, got my badge out and scanned it. I said hi to the lady at the front desk, her name was Inez. I knew it because she was usually the one at the front desk. She probably even knows who I am. 

I walked into the gym and went right to the bench press. I started with ten pounds just to warm up and the added another ten so that it would round to twenty. I've been lifting weight since I was fifteen. Besides volleyball the only hobby I've ever had. I'm pretty good at it, lifting. I can do about eighty five pounds without a spotter. It's a little bit above average but I worked harder than you would think to be able to do it.

After about ten minutes, I added another ten pounds. Weight isn't a problem anymore, and yeah, the impressed gazes I get help my ego. After about half an hour, I find myself at eighty pounds. I was really tired, so I got up and made my over to the shelves on the west side of the gym, which had my bag in one of them. I grabbed my water bottle and started drinking some water. 

A few minutes later, I was sitting down of a bench near the treadmills and a woman came up to me, about my age I think. She had brown hair and gorgeous green eyes. Her hair was in a high ponytail and was still super long. She said,

"Excuse me. I was just wondering," she sat down next to me after I had looked up at her "I saw you doing about eighty pounds on the bench press and was just wondering if you wouldn't mind spotting me? I started about three months ago and I struggle a little with fifty five pounds." This was new. People asking me to spot them. Most of the time it's women, but sometimes it's guys who can clearly spot themselves, but I don't mind, even though I know they're hitting on me.

"Of course, I would love to." I smiled at her and put my water bottle back in my bag. We made our way over to the bench press, and she laid down. She started off with ten pounds and the got up and added another ten pounds. She stretched her arms above her head and slowly lowered them. She repeated the process several time, before putting the weight back. She added another fifteen pounds and got back onto the bench. 

"Could you get ready to spot me please?" She asked, her fingers wrapping around the barbell. She stretched her arms above her head, before lowering them against her chest. She struggled a little at the beginning but was able to lift it again, over her head. She lowered her arms, and this time pushed it up with a little less difficulty. She repeated this process several time, before putting the barbell back.

She sat up and started breathing a little heavier but got up and added ten pounds . She was fifty five pounds now. She wrapped her fingers around the barbell once again, and stretched her arms. She lowered them slowly towards her chest and struggled to stretch her arms again. I could tell she wouldn't be able to lift it with help, so I wrapped my right hand around the barbell and helped her lift it. With my help, she put it back and sat up.

"Thank you, for helping me." She thanked me while standing up.

"No problem. Let me know if you need help with anything else." I walked to the metal shelves where they kept the kettlebells. I took a black one that looked more or less large. It was probably  About ninety pounds. Either way, when I tried to lift it, if it was heavier than ninety I would feel it.

I lifted it with both my hands and made my way over to a mat. I put the kettlebell on the floor before wrapping my knees with some athletic tape. I've had my knees pop before, while doing squats with weights. So now I wrap them just in case.

I put my fingers around the handle and squatted down towards the floor. As I stretched my legs, I also pulled my arms up and bent them when the kettlebell was chest level. I repeated about ten times, and I wasn't breathing as heavily as I usually am. Weird. I looked around and noticed that everyone was looking at me. Ok, what the fuck? What was happening?