Chapter VII

VII

As planned, Friday after classes, Bethsabée headed towards the park entrance. Since she had managed to thwart the author's plans, she had gained confidence, taking the initiative to surprise in return. All thanks to the willingness of the boy who had agreed to make the journey in the other direction. Moreover, she was aware that the author would not show up for their appointment, knowing that it would be admitting defeat for him. However, she was certain that he had planned something and would not stand her up. Upon arrival, perhaps she would find the little boy who had served as their carrier pigeon? Perhaps he had simply left a message? Either way, she was approaching the statue and could already feel the fresh and familiar air of the park.

Upon arrival, she was almost disappointed to find that she was the first one there. Indeed, no one else was present yet, not even the young blond boy, and no words had been left in the vicinity. While waiting, she sat down on the only bench near the entrance to the green space and contemplated the commemorative structure facing her. This large stone statue, almost 3 meters high, depicted a French poet from the 20th century. She wasn't quite sure who it was, but the character depicted seemed rather young. His forehead was already receding, but he still had enough hair left to give him a particular charm. His large ears and long stone nose completed a gaze imbued with wisdom. Despite the immobile nature of the stone figure, Bethsabée felt through it all the intelligence, importance, and notoriety that the represented artist possessed at the time.

As she was still examining the statue, she did not hear the two people who were gradually approaching her. It was only once the elderly couple was close enough to Bethsabée that she noticed their presence. Immediately, she recognized the lady she had rung the bell at and was extremely confused to see her here. When they reached her, they handed her a letter. Perplexed, Bethsabée bombarded them with a multitude of questions to which the couple did not respond. Understanding that they would remain silent no matter what, Bethsabée fell silent and watched them walk away. She had prepared herself to face someone other than the author, but she had expected anything but to be confronted by silent old messengers. She knew that these elders could not be the author, since she was certain that they both attended the same school. He must therefore be between 10 and 18 years old, and since a certain maturity was necessary to write and send such missives, she could narrow down the search area by starting at a minimum of 15 years old.

Just before leaving, she circled around the huge stone sculpture in order to read the inscriptions engraved on it. On the pedestal, she read: "Louis Aragon (1897-1982)." Curious to learn more about the poet, she noted his name to research when she got home. However, the letter would take priority since she really wanted to find out what the author had replied. Perhaps he had given more clues about himself? Without delay, she set off, because in addition to being curious, her backpack was starting to weigh heavily on her shoulders in a very uncomfortable way.

Once home, she hurried to open the letter and discover its contents. Unfortunately for her, as she unfolded the paper, she read:

Sad to hear that you lost your dog. You are clever, but don't forget that I am just as clever.

Although she expected the author not to answer her question, Bethsabée was disappointed when she read those words. She didn't know how to react, so instead of staying in the dining room staring at the wall in front of her, she whistled twice between her teeth and waited for her dog to come running with his tail wagging. She then suggested they go for a walk, as she had actually somewhat lost the habit lately, much to the dismay of her faithful companion. Quite happy, he seemed to agree. He brought her the leash, and they both went outside.