Chapter One: SYDNEY

SYDNEY

***

Cinched between his fingers is the object that could change my life. The one that every single girl in the line-up is hoping will adorn their left hands by the end of the night.

An Alpha's promise ring, its band silver and its head fashioned into a white full moon. And the man who holds it—the one who currently scans us all with his startling, light-green eyes—is the new Full Moon Alpha, Alpha Sebastian.

I give a quick glance to my competitors and know I'm in good standing. I am one of only five girls in the line-up who are of Gamma rank—that is, the rank given to any child born to an Alpha. I am of werewolf nobility.

First-born sons who just took up the Alpha title from their fathers, such as Alpha Sebastian, are often eager to put that ring on a fellow noble-born finger so that the ties between packs can be strengthened. That not is to say, however, that the Omegas in the line-up are not worthy candidates. Afterall, they are from the Alpha's own pack and have gotten to know him personally all their lives.

I cross my fingers behind my back. I just have to hope.

Finally, Alpha Sebastian's eyes halt on me, and my heart thunders as he stalks over with a smile on his face. Despite my nerves, I manage a demure smile before lowering my gaze—a common symbol of respect and submission.

He stops three feet before me.

"Gamma Sydney, from the Harvest Moon pack," he murmurs, and I feel my heart skip at the acknowledgement.

"Alpha Sebastian," I say, raising my eyes to his. His light-blonde hair shines like molten gold in the torchlight of the ballroom, and his skin is a perfect shade of honey. He sends me one of those charming, melting smiles he's notorious for.

"I have heard of your kindness and genteel disposition. I do believe you would make an exceptional Luna to the Full Moon pack, don't you?"

"I do believe so, Alpha," I breathe, unable to believe that this is actually happening.

His eyes light up. "And do you wish to consolidate the ties between the Full Moon pack and Harvest Moon pack by promising yourself to me?"

"Yes, Alpha Sebastian." The words are hardly a whisper. "I do."

"Then please"—he extends an arm—"may I have your hand?"

I hold out my hand, fingers trembling ever-so-slightly with shock. He takes my left hand in his—so soft and warm—before slipping the cool, silver ring onto my finger.

His eyes sparkle. I'm sure mine look much the same. "Then it is settled. You shall be my promised Luna."

Cheers erupt behind me, and I turn, slowly, towards the room full of people. Werewolves from all seven packs surround us, their smiles wide and eyes sparkling with glee.

And, like a contagious infection, a smile works itself onto my own face.

I'm going to be a Luna.

***

"He's an acceptable match, I suppose," my eldest brother tells me thirty minutes later, watching the ballroom from a distance. Now that the whirlwind of congratulations has passed, we can finally spend some time alone as a family. "A little soft for my tastes, perhaps, but he will do."

I shoot him a wry glance. "I am afraid your 'tastes' don't matter in this instance, Brother."

He puffs out his chest in indignance. "As your Alpha brother, it is my duty to ensure that my dear sister is matched with an acceptable—"