Chapter 14: Parental Care

Since the great evolution and advancement of technology, the majority of societal obligations and interactions can now be completed within the comforts of their own homes, such as education.

Even so, the empire and the major civilizations strongly prevent all of its citizens from depending entirely on technology and encourage meaningful outdoor experiences.

As they say, youth must be full of beautiful encounters.

Hence, despite the immersive holographic world that the stellar network offers, the education sector mandates that all students, from all levels and courses, must attend schools and universities.

Homeschooling and self-education are not recognized and are discouraged. While the stellar network indeed provides free access to the vast knowledge known to the universe, this massive quantity of data, in itself, was also a kind of pollution.

So even in the interstellar era, universities were not rendered obsolete by technological advancement, and teaching remained highly esteemed, noble, and indispensable compared to AIs.

As for a student like Hua Lian, a sick child with spiritual disabilities, she was given 'preferential treatment'. She was exempt from attending classes, and all of her coursework was completed at home. The school was quite accommodating as long as she turned in all of her assignments on time and passed all of her exams.

This was nicely said, but in fact, the school didn't care for an inconvenient and ill student like Hua Lian.

If you don't see them, you won't be bothered by them. In any case, they have shown sufficient tolerance and cannot be accused of marginalizing the weak.

This reflected the general attitude of the Empire regarding citizens with spiritual disabilities. On the surface, the Empire treated them with the same importance as other citizens, having policies and subsidiaries that cared for their well-being, but in fact, these were all superficial acts.

In today's society, those with spiritual disabilities have no value, both a burden and a liability. They occupy and compete for the already scarce resources. In their brief lives, the majority of them can hardly withstand a space jump and are stuck struggling at the bottom of their birth planet. They either die young or gamble on a chance to go to a remote garbage planet.

To be honest, Eggy felt that the world outside was dangerous for Hua Lian. It's actually an excellent idea to just keep the child at home, let her be occupied with her hobby of reclaiming the wasteland, and hide her out of others' sight.

Isn't this why they took the risk of multiple space jumps and ran from the main planet to this remote location?

But the child had suffered from illness since birth. She was in constant, excruciating pain, unable to communicate, and barely awake with scattered consciousness.

In the past, they were forced to raise her in a golden cage, but things are different now.

More than six months ago, Hua Lian suddenly gained clarity. It was as if she had awoken from a long dream, and since then, she's just as energetic and outspoken as other youths. Of course, save for the fact that she's seemingly missing some common gears, but that's simply a delay in learning and not a matter of lacking intelligence.

As long as the child was not broken and needed maintenance, Eggy feared nothing.

The child suddenly grew up, no longer as sick as before, and was meant to eventually fly out of the cage.

Eggy can understand this.

Since that was the case, as a responsible parent, he owes it to his child to arm her appropriately and not to hold her back from soaring.

If someone dares to pit her, she must be able to dig a bigger pit and bury the guy!

Eggy didn't just nag Hua Lian. He can change expressions with just a click and play a whole opera on his own.

"Look at your cousins; they attended school for years before finishing the compulsory education," Eggy said in a kind tone. "Now look at you; it hasn't been a year yet since you started education, and you've already finished your primary schooling."

Eggy didn't forget to implement his trap card. "If you focus more, the earlier you will get your high school diploma and the more money we'll save from educational expenses."

Hua Lian felt a shot in the knee.

Thinking about the money spent on finding a tutor and then the astronomical amount used to employ them, as well as the gifts given to soften their attitude, Hua Lian felt it was a pyramid scam.

The extracurricular expenses are not even counted yet.

Eggy then expressed a sigh. "I haven't been able to afford to do maintenance for so long."

Hua Lian shrank with a guilty look and quickened her steps.

"Your father's mecha also burns out the energy source whenever you use the emergency return system to force a space jump." Eggy's digital eyes squeeze out the programmed tears. "It has to be constantly overhauled and changed."

With the ghost of her conscience chasing close, the prodigal girl ran into the study, trembling with fear.

If I don't dare to fight back, don't I dare to hide?

Finally, Eggy presented the golden carrot. "If you graduate early, wouldn't we be able to get rid of some major expenses?"

This was simply coaxing a child silly.

After getting her high school qualifications, his good child will be packed and sent right away to a university; free delivery included.

There's nothing that money can't solve. With his hidden personal funds, Eggy felt confident enough to support Hua Lian's education. If even money can't solve it, then violence can also be the answer.

"Eggy, everything you said made sense." Hua Lian, the obedient child, kept nodding in agreement. "I understand. Really. I swear."

Anyway, in the face of adults, what they say must always be right. If not, then you are simply talking back.

That's a rebellious, unfilial child!

To show she's not rebellious and unfilial, Hua Lian consciously set up her study table, connected the holographic device with her light brain, grabbed the recorded chip, and started the lecture. She sat properly, with no fidgeting, and forced away all distracting thoughts, her eyes extremely focused.

Eggy saw that the child was no longer bouncing away with energy and was finally satisfied.

Like all loving parents oblivious to the child's depleting health bar, Eggy asked, "What do you want for dinner?"

A/N:

When the child got into a fight:

General Hua: Oh my poor child, where are you hurt? Don't cry. Don't cry. Daddy will buy you anything you want.
Eggy: Did you win?
Mutant Vine: *Sharpen the vines and sack the person* Dare to bully my baby!!!