4 - Sisterly love

Sarah Rogers POV - May 11th, 1918

A few hours later...

Joel was not on the couch when I came out of my bedroom. I thought I had dreamed of him coming home for a second and traitorously hoped that he hadn't, so the news of Joseph's death wouldn't be true, but then I heard movement in the kitchen and my hope vanished, shame replacing it.

I made my way slowly into the kitchen to see my brother still in his uniform, making breakfast. I let a light smile slip onto my lips and I watched my older brother trying to take care of me when he himself probably needed help too.

"Move over dummy. You'll end up dropping a plate with those crutches and I don't think either of us will be able to bend down to pick up the pieces." I chuckled softly.

"Good point. You do the plate, I'll finish the bacon and then we can both work on what's left." Joel instructed.

"Don't go all soldier on me, mister. I never used to follow your order, no way am I doing it now."

"I barely had any authority in the army." He shot back.

"Uh-huh." I intoned with my hands somewhat on my hips.

He laughed. "I can't take you seriously when you look like a watermelon. You're due in July right? I can't wait to meet this kid. I'm going to be the best uncle."

"Very funny. Yeah, July is when this little rascal is coming out of me." I gave a faux look at my brother. "Also best might be stretching it."

"Very funny."

***

Joel's POV

As we ate, it was quiet. We were both not used to each other company and Sarah still seemed a little out of it from hearing about Joseph. If I was honest with myself, I'd say I am off too, but I'm not honest, so I'm fine.

***

~Time Skip~

***

A month later...

It was getting closer to my sister's due date and I could see she was exhausted. I'd tried to get a job to help out, but places don't like to hire a man still on crutches. I really didn't like the annoying things, but if I ditched them, I'd fall flat on my face and I already had a scare on my head from the artillery force making me smack my head on the dirt.

I was getting better at putting pressure on my leg, but the pain was still high. I was told I'd have the crutches for two months, so I'd probably still be on them when my niece or nephew was born. I was lucky that I still had a bit of money from the army to cover my medical and family for a little while.

I was still going to try to find a job while on crutches, but I knew my chances would increase once the crutches were gone. The doctors said I'd still be in pain and have a limp for at least 6 months after the crutches are gone, but I would be able to hide it. I'm a Rogers, we have the ability to be really stubborn on our side, for better or for worse.

***

[4/5/24] Reupload.