1 - Better in person

Joel Rogers POV - May 10th 1918

I was waiting outside the door of my sister's apartment in Brooklyn. I had yet to knock. I was still preparing myself for having to tell her the news.

I took a heavy breath and raised my fist to the door but before I could bring it down, the door swung open. I had no time to prepare as my sister threw herself at me in tears.

"Joel! You're home!" She whispered happily as she hugged me. She let go and stood straight, "What happened?" she asked whilst looking around the hall. "Where's Joe?" She questioned with a confused smile. I lowered my head. I couldn't look her in the eyes. "No. No!" She burst out in tears and anger.

She began hitting my chest, forcing me to grip my crutches tighter as I tried to keep my balance. After a hard shove, I stumbled, causing my army headdress to fall to the floor.

Her punches slowed after a while but she continued to sob. I approached her slowly, wrapping my arms around her as best I could with her being just over 7 months pregnant. I let her cry into my shoulder, stroking her hair and staying silent.

Once her tears had run dry, I led her inside her apartment and told her to sit down. I went to make her tea, which was tricky using one hand while I tried to steady myself on my crutches with the other.

I hobbled it over cautiously and gave it to her. She sipped it slowly as I manoeuvred myself into the chair opposite. After her tea and a few minutes of silence, she looked up at me accusingly with tired, red eyes.

"How?" Was all she could whisper meekly.

"Mustard Gas. Two days ago." I said simply, struggling to keep my voice from breaking. I'd seen it often on the front and the memories would always haunt me, but I should have been there with him...

"And where were you?" She accused, looking down at my crutches rather than at my face.

"Artillery fire. A couple of weeks back, I got caught by some shrapnel. I was in the hospital when I heard. I came as soon as I could, to tell you myself, rather than letting them send a telegram."

"Thank you." She whispered looking back up into my eyes.

***

[4/5/24] Reupload.