8 - Baba

--- MARYAM SHEIKH ---

Congratulations! Your flight for 28.10.26 is succesfully booked for Abu Dabi in Business Class at departure time 8am. Thank You for flying with Emirates!

I had been staring at this notification since it popped up on my phone. Which was about half an hour ago. And I still could not decieve the meaning out of this.

Like, What???

I suddenly got a call from my father. I forcefully put a smile on my face to hide my confusion. "Oh hey Baba (father)! Assalamu Alaikum."  I patted my head hardly for forgetting to say if first.

"Va Alaikum Salam, my daughter. Did you get something on your phone right now?" His dark voice rang through the phone, gravely. Huh, I missed the care and soothingness it used to own

I shook my head even though there was nobody to see it. "Nothing than a message of about a flight booked from me or something,"

I tried to brush it off. I wanted to talk something else with him. Its been weeks since he called. "I'm sure its a joke, Baba. You know these companies does it all the time. How's your day?"

"Well its not, Maryam," he said seriously. "I want you to come back to Abu Dhabi,"  I did not like the tone he used.

"Is - Is there something wrong,?" I stuttered. Fear throbbled in my heart.

"We have been invited to a week long party by a  very good friend of mine. I'd rather not say his name since you'd recognise him straightaway and be too terrified to come. My friend wants to see you."

Seriously, who does a week long party? "But I have my exams and I'll be missing a lot of my classes. I'm graduating this year, Baba." Oh I wished he could just understand!

"I have arranged everything with your principal and you should be able to get on with your classes when you return."

"But ," I started. I did not know exactly what to say to this. "You know I've not ever met any of our relatives since Mama's--"

"They are not relatives!" He snapped, interrupting me. He has finally lost his patience. "They are just friends. Do your shopping and whatever you need to do and just get on that damn flight! Is it too much to do?"

Something was stuck on my throat and my eyes felt like burning. I cleared my voice.

"No, Baba."

He returned his usual calmness. "I'll be sending Aziz to pick you up from the airport ," he said and just cut the call. He must be busy.

Then just like that water poured out of my eyes like it always did after a phone call with my father. I checked the time. I still had ten minutes before my next class so I rushed to the nearby toilets. I washed my face a couple of times and saw they had turned red from the crying. I tried to apply some light makeup to cover up the puffiness and realized they still remained. I gave up. There was no use. I wanted to cry even more.

I gave up the attempts and rushed to class. Only four minutes remained. I got seated at my usual seat and found someone looking suprised at me.

"Have you been crying?" He asked, softly.

I decided not to answer and just took out my notes and stuff and then just stared at the floor. Zaid gave up his attempts to talk to me and just went on reading his tiny Qur'an till the Professor came.

Class continued for about an hour and a half. I just continued to take some notes so I can do something else to distract myself. I did not know what to expect of my father anymore. He was not like this. He was not at all like this. I guess Mama's death hit him too hard. She was his first love and it must be difficult for him. I try to think of these things to shake off the Shaytan (devil) that followed me after Baba's calls. I am determined not to lose to him.

I didn't want to hate my father. He was my father. The person I cherished and admired during my childhood. He was my supermodel. But who is he now?

I was more than enough glad to leave when the lunch bell rang. I packed up and rushed off more faster than I ever did from class. I know Zaid was bursting with curiousity but I didn't wanna tell him anything. I'm sure he'll just take it as a joke and make fun of me.

Relief rushed through me as I saw Fatima's smiling face across the cafeteria. I hurried over and sat down, after grabbing my food.

"Bad Day?" She asks first. I looked at her suprised.

"How do you know?" I asked my eyes wide.

She merely just laughed. "Oh come on, Maryam I've know you since second grade! If your having a bad day, I know."

I smiled. It was great to have a comforting person like that beside you. I said a small little prayer for her in my heart. We tucked into our lunches and I explained to her about Baba's call. She seemed to have a positive view about it. I know it was just to cheer me up.

"Probably, he's just busy as always," she says and added. "You know how these business people are. Alhamdulilah, I'm not one," she smiled to herself.

"And your major is?" I asked her with a sly smile. She just scoffed at in disgust. "Girl, I love studying, but the job? Oh no!"

Then she seemed to realize something. "Wait, a party means shopping. We need to get shopping for you! We'll go this evening itself!"

"But the party is actually a whole month away!"

"The sooner the better!"

I sighed. Yeah, I needed to get some shopping done. It'll soothe my nerves.

I wonder who's party she's going to? 🤔
Anyway, Thanks for reading and don't forget to vote!
Word count : 1020