5 - MISUNDERSTOOD

---ZAID KHALID---

"You're so mean, Zaid. I think I hate you."

"D-Do..you really mean that?"

"Well, I won't if you don't want me to. But you've got to stop being mean."

"I won't be mean to you if that makes you hate me. Can we be friends again."

"Only if you promise to be nice to me."

"Promise."

"OKAY!Friends forever?"

"Forever."

"Mr Khalid! Earth to Mr Khalid!"

I woke up from my nap, internally groaning. At least a hundred people were staring at me from across the classroom. Professor Kelensky, a middle aged man with black spectacles and a spectacular voice stared at me with his beady black eyes. I heard a chuckle right beside me. I ruffled my hair.

"Mr Khalid," the professor started, "I hope you are very well aware that I'm having a lecture here on effective site plans and not the internal effects of snoring." The whole class laughed and some people exchanged whispers. Nevertheless, the green eyed creature beside me maintained silence and was staring at the floor so intensely with her pale fingers on her delicate cheek.
I smiled.

"I'm sure I'll never repeat it, sir." I said.

"Good," said Professor Kelensky and proceeded to write something on the board.

"Does he know you're the one to never keep promises?"

Maryam's sudden talking ran a chill down my spine. I can thoroughly feel the hairs of my neck standing up. I gave a short laugh. "No, and I hope he never does," I whispered.

She proceeds to write something on her notebook. I look over at her face and I notice that she had started wearing makeup. Very different from the little Maryam I used to know. A different kind of pretty.

She caught me staring at her. "What, is there something on my face?" She suddenly took out a small pocket mirror from her bag and checked.

"Nah," I reply. "Unless you found out ugliness is new."

I could see her rolling her eyes from the corner of my eye. "You still haven't changed."

"I could tell the same for you. Your as stubborn as ever."

"Hope you look in the mirror and figure out who's really the stubborn one!" Our piercing whispers made the people in front look at us, menacingly.

"I'm far by the better looking, darling." There was silence for a few moments.

"Why are you even talking to me, if you were not going to in the first place!"Her whispers were getting louder now. I could sense she was getting impatient with me. The more, the better.

"Well, you started it. I was not even talking." I said, looking at her.

"Oh I'm really fed up with these two!" A voice we didnt expect roared across the classroom.

"Mr Khalid, I order you to leave the classroom and take your girlfriend with you!" A few gasps were sounded across the classroom and some girls started taking photos of Maryam. I folded my fists forcefully. Paparazzi followed me evrywhere and I just couldn't shake them off it.

"I'm not his girlfriend," protested Maryam, looking at me as if to say something for her support. Her green eyes blinked at me.

God, I love green.

"Yeah, she's not my girlfriend," I said loudly. The Prof. seemed real mad enough.

"Yeah, thats it," he slammed the thick book onto his desk. "You wasted half of my class and you spent the other half claiming false accusations! Both of you, GET OUT OF MY CLASS NOW!"

We understood that was his final word. I packed up my bag, shoved it across my shoulder and coolly walked away. I couldn't understand half the things they said anyway. Once we got out of the classroom, I was glad I was outta there. The sky was a bright blue and the grass just seemed to shine and glaze. All I wanted then and right there was to head back to Abu Dabi and head to the Kai beach and take a walk there.

But a gloomy figure walked in front of me with a pretty pink hijab and a sparkly bag. There was something wrong. I walked up to her and stood in front of her,

"That bag could've defeated the sun," I joked, pointing at the glittering thing.She said nothing and proceeded to walk the other way. She turned to look at me.

"Why did you have to kick me outta that class with you when I so wanted to be there?" She had a hurt look on her face.

"Well, you started talking to me first!" I talked back. I couldn't understand where this conversation was going.

"Look," she said to me, looking me deeply in the eyes, stern and fierce. "I don't understand why you're too nice to me or even talking to me like you never did before. But I assure you, I have nothing to do with you. And stop interfering with my life."

"But.. Why?"

"Because," she raised her voice and held her fists tight. "I can't understand your feelings, Zaid! You were so rude to me back at the picnic and now your talking casually with me as if nothing happened all those years ago."

"You mean eighth grade? I thought I had made my answer clear."

"Exactly! You made your answer clear and I heard it!"

She did? Then what's the problem?

She covered her face with both of her hands as if she was embaressed from the sudden outburst. I noticed a sudden movement in one of the trees of the courtyard.

"Okay, listen," I said lowering my voice, stepping a little closer so I can cover their camera lenses properly. That'll teach them. But I noticed I was too close when all I heard was my heart beat and Maryam's breathing. But I know I had to do this.

"What I'm about to ask you to do now, you should listen obediently."

She took her hands off and looked at me, all ears. Our faces were only inches away.

" I want you to walk over to the library and stay there for over twenty minutes."

"And why should I do that?"

"There are a couple of men hiding behind the poplar trees, taking our pictures." I heard her give a quick gasp. If I could, I would've just took hold of her hand and walk away like they did in the movies. But my God forbidded me of it and I would not do what my Master had forbidden.

She saw the men as well and in a few moments, we parted ways.

Thanks for reading and don't forget to vote!

Word count: 1070