01 : "Have You Seen This?"

T H E
T O P I C
O F
M U R D E R
2.1

•••

“Have you seen this?” 

Kamden Abbott burst into Andrew's room at approximately seven twenty one early that Monday morning, with a copy of the morning's newspaper in hand.

Andrew Greg Henry, student leader of the most popular fraternity on campus as well as one of Kamden's best friends, was fast asleep, back to the door and a thick blanket protecting him from the harsh cold of the air conditioning unit.

“Bastard's still asleep.” Kamden muttered. “And why the heck is it always so freaking cold in here?”

Kamden removed the remote from the wall and switched off the unit before approaching Andrew's bed. 

Rolling the newspaper in his hand, and with excessive force, Kamden slapped Andrew hard, causing the latter to jump awake.

“What the - Kamden?”

“Oh good.” Kamden's face was overtaken by a fake smile. “You're up. Read this.”

Andrew glared at Kamden as he reached for the pair of glasses sitting on his night stand.

WEST END BEVERAGES PUBLISHES OFFICIAL STATEMENT ON THE OFFICIAL RISE IN ORANGE JUICE COST.

“Ah, it seems as if we need to stop going through five bottles of orange juice a day.” Andrew sarcastically.

“Not that!” Kamden exclaimed in annoyance, reaching over to flip the newspaper to the article he needed Andrew to see. “This!’’

PLEDGE FOUND UNRESPONSIVE AT THE MOST POPULAR FRATERNITY ON CAMPUS AT TH K. KELLITS UNIVERSITY. 

ACCIDENT OR MURDER?

BY : JOAN SPARKS.

“Seems as if I need to get this lousy reporter fired.” Andrew smiled to himself as his door opened again. 

Leo Hearst, the second right hand man and best friend to Andrew entered the room.

“Who needs to be fired now?” Leo asked. 

“This freaking reporter who is accusing us of murder!” Kamden yelled, plucking the newspaper from Andrew's hand and handed it to Leo.

Andrew flipped the blanket off his body and turned to sit on his bed, socks clad feet touching the floor.

“At approximately eleven eleven p.m., authorities received a call from a frantic male who revealed that his friend had collapsed and was unresponsive despite their efforts to revive him. At eleven twenty six, authorities arrived at the scene - the K. Kellits University - where the male was immediately loaded into an ambulance and taken to the nearest hospital. Ten minutes later, authorities reported that the said male, an Aston Lucas Loyle, was pronounced dead while receiving treatment. Both the authorities and the University has since published statements that there will be an investigation in the matter. Murder? Or was it an accident?”

Silence. 

“Oh.”

“Oh?” Kamden repeated in great disapproval. “Is that all you have to say Andrew?”

“I'm too tired to reply otherwise.” Andrew muttered as he placed his glasses back on the nightstand and got up from his bed.

Both Kamden and Leo watched as Andrew made his way towards his bathroom, slamming the door behind him as he did.