Chapter 28 - Those Pesky Words

❗️Triggers: Light Smut
Nick's POV

I am just finishing up some homework when I get a message from Charlie. He is alone at his apartment. I smile at my phone before I message back saying I'd be at his apartment in 15 minutes. I pack some clothes in my duffle bag to replace the dirty ones at his apartment.

Don't tell him. He is not going to say it back. You know he won't.

I shake the thought out of my head.

"Where are you off to?" Sai asks as I walk past them in the common room. "Charlie's of course." Christian laughs, elbowing Sai. "You know to tell Ch-" Otis starts to say but I quickly cut all of them off nervously. "I am not sure if I will be home tonight so don't wait up." I say and they stare at me for a few moments with small smiles. "It's going to go well Nick. You have nothing to worry about." Otis reassures me. My mates look at each other before jumping off the sofa chaotically. They pull me into the center of a very tight and reassuring hug. I close my eyes, savoring the comfort and support before clearing my throat.

"Thanks guys." I say before heading to the front door. "You got this!" I hear them shout even after close the door behind me. The entire ride to Charlie's I couldn't get my hands to stop shaking. I couldn't calm my thoughts.

What if he laughs at me?

What if he doesn't say it back?

What if he does because he feels obligated? I really don't want that...

What if I am rushing this? We have only been dating for a few months.

I only met his a few months ago...

"Nick."

I shake from being startled. It's Charlie at my car door in the rain. I quickly turn off my car and climb out. "Char, you shouldn't be out in this rain." I say, spitting through the aggressive rain that is getting in my mouth. I take his hand in my and run with him into the lobby of his apartment complex. I run my fingers through my hair, pushing my soaking wet hair out of my eyes.

"Why were you outside?" I ask as we wait for the elevator. "I saw you pull in but were sitting there for a long time." He says, his voice full of concern. "Are you okay?" He adds once the elevator opens. I don't answer that directly. "How long was I sitting in the lot?" I ask as the elevator starts to close. "Maybe 20 minutes. I was watching your location and saw you sitting there so I thought something was wrong." He says as he grabs a hold of my hand, enlacing our fingers together.

When the door shuts, I am so overwhelmed that I swing my body and pull him into a tight hug. I wrap my arms under his and rub small circles on his back just below his shoulder blades. He wraps his arms around my shoulders, and I feel his fingers slide into my hair, brushing through the wet strands softly. I try to keep myself together while we stand like this, enjoying the moment. When the elevator door dings, I let go of him slowly. When I look at his face, he's smiling softly. I can see his eyes shift to look over my entire face. I give a small smile before grabbing his hand again.

He guides me down the hall a short way to his apartment. When we get inside, I slip my wet shoes off at the door before we head to his bedroom. "Nick," he says when we are walking to his bedroom. "What's going on?" He adds concerned. I don't say anything. I just go inside his bedroom and lock the door when he's inside. I don't turn around. I am too afraid to actually move. "Nothing's wrong. Everything's normal." I lie. "Nick... I can tell something's wrong. You can talk to me." He assures me.

I shake my head. "I..." I am in love with you. "I think I am just tried from all the homework I had. Do you think we can lay down for a bit?" Another lie. He looks at me, puzzled for a brief moment. "Sure." I grab new clothes from my duffle bag and throw my soaking wet clothes in the hamper. "Um." I hear him say as I am about to open the bathroom door. I turn around and look him. His arms are tightly wrapped around him and he's shivering. I drop my new clothes and wrap my arms around his shoulders. I rub up and down in his with a little force to try and warm him up.