CXL. APOLOGIES

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

"We have confirmed that 10 high-security prisoners in the early hours of yesterday evening did escape. And of course, the Muggle prime minister has been alerted to the danger. We strongly suspect that the breakout was engineered by a man with personal experience in escaping from Azkaban, notorious mass murderer Sirius Black, cousin of escapee Bellatrix Lestrange."

"Dumbledore warned Fudge this could happen."

The Potter twins, Ron and Hermione were walking down the aisle between the Gryffindor and Hufflepuff tables, talking about the latest update in the Daily Prophet. As Mia walked past the Slytherin table, she locked eyes with Draco and the two looked away, a small smile on their faces.

"He's gonna get us all killed just because he can't face the truth," Hermione was saying as they walked past Seamus and Dean. 

"Mia."

The ginger girl turned around and stopped walking as Seamus stood up. Mia said nothing as she looked at him. 

"I wanted to apologise," he said as Mia looked at him. "Now even me mum says the Prophet's version of things doesn't add up. So, what I'm trying to say is that I believe you, and I'm sorry for what I said." Mia smiled and nodded.

"Thank you," she said, sending him a smile.

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

That evening, Mia arrived early in the Room of Requirement but was surprised to see Neville there, standing by the mirror and looking at the photo Remus had given Mia. 

"Neville?" she asked, walking towards him and she looked at the mirror and saw where Neville was looking at.

"Fourteen years ago," Neville said with  a slightly shaky voice, "a Death Eater named Bellatrix Lestrange used a Cruciatus Curse on my parents." Mia looked at him shocked as Neville turned to her. "She tortured them for information, but they never gave in. I'm quite proud to be their son."

"I'm sure they're proud to have you as their son," Mia said as Neville smiled. 

"But I'm not sure I'm ready for everyone to know just yet," he said as Mia nodded.

"That's okay," she said, "your secret's safe with me. But we're gonna make them proud, Neville. That's a promise." Neville smiled and nodded and within fifteen minutes, the room was filled. 

They had finally started work on Patronuses, which everybody had been very keen to practise, though, as Mia kept reminding them, producing a Patronus in the middle of a brightly lit classroom when they were not under threat was very different from producing it when confronted by something like a Dementor.

"They're so pretty," said Luna brightly, watching her silvery hare-shaped Patronus soar around the Room of Requirement during their last lesson before Easter.

"They're not supposed to be pretty, they're supposed to protect you," said Mia patiently. "What we need is a Boggart or something, that's how I learned, I had to conjure an aPatronus while the Boggart was pretending to be a Dementor. . . ."

"But that would be scary!" said Lavender, who was shooting puffs of silver vapour out of the end of her wand. "And I still, can't,  do it!" she added angrily. 

Neville was having trouble, too. His face was screwed up in concentration, but only feeble wisps of silver smoke issued from his wand tip. 

"You've got to think of something happy," Mia reminded him. 

"I'm trying," said Neville miserably, who was trying so hard his round face was shining with sweat. 

"Mia, I think I'm doing it!" yelled Seamus, who had been brought along to his first-ever D.A. meeting by Dean. "Look! Ah, it's gone. . . . but it was something hairy, Mia!"

"Fantastic!" Mia said beaming. Hermione's Patronus, a shining silver otter, was gambling around her. 

"They are sort of nice, aren't they?" she said, looking at it fondly.

"Easy for you to say!" Ron said, struggling to keep two hands on his wand as his silver Jack Russell Terrier ran around, knocking a few people over as it did. Mia laughed, but her smile faded when the lights flickered. She turned and looked around at the ceiling but her attention was brought to the wall which shook lightly. The ginger girl and Dennis walked towards it and as it shook again, a small hole in the wall appeared. 

"I'll make short work of this," said a voice Mia never wanted to hear, "Bombarda Maxima!"

Mia's eyes went wide as she pushed Dennis behind her and held up her hands, creating a large red energy shield, protecting the D.A. as the wall exploded. Once the smoke had cleared up and the wall had been demolished, Mia removed her hands, getting rid of the energy shield to reveal Umbridge standing there with Parkinson, Crabbe and Goyle behind her. There were the sounds of footsteps and Draco came into view, holding Cho by the arm. Mia stared at Draco who had a slightly guilty look when he saw the ginger girl. 

"Miss. Potter," Umbridge said as Mia looked away from Draco and towards the woman in pink, "I'd expect nothing less from you."

"Good," Mia said, staring at the pink woman, "hate to disappoint."

"Draco, grab Miss. Potter. The rest of you, get them!"

Draco quickly let go of Cho and hurried towards Mia, carefully and gently grabbing her arm and leading her out of the room. 

"Take her to Dumbledore's office," Umbridge said, "I'll meet you there," Mia said nothing as Draco led her down the corridor and once they were out of earshot, Mia shoved him way and turned to face him.

"You sold me out?" she asked, her voice shaking as she had a look of sadness on her face. 

"No," he said as Mia scoffed, "she put Veritaserum into everyone's cup of tea. I'm surprised she didn't go to you first."

Mia sighed as she ran her hands through her long, ginger hair. Mia wondered how many of the others had been caught. She thought of Ron, how Mrs Weasley would kill both her and Ron, and of how Hermione would feel if she was expelled before she could take her OWLs. And it had been Seamus'svery first meeting, and Neville had been getting so good.

"Come on," he said, "we need to go." Mia nodded as she followed him. They were at the stone gargoyle within minutes. "I'm sorry," he said as Mia nodded.

"Come on," Mia said, "you're coming with me."

"Fizzing Whizzbee," she said. The stone gargoyle jumped aside, the wall behind split open, and they ascended the moving stone staircase. She reached the polished door with the griffin knocker, but Umbridge was waiting for her. 

"About time," she snapped. She grabbed the scruff of Mia's robe from Draco and did not bother to knock, she strode straight inside, still holding tight to Mia. The office was full of people. Dumbledore was sitting behind his desk, his expression serene, the tips of his long fingers together. 

Professor McGonagall stood rigidly beside him, her face extremely tense. Cornelius Fudge, Minister for Magic, was rocking backwards and forwards on his toes beside the fire, apparently immensely pleased with the situation; Kingsley Shacklebolt and a tough-looking wizard with very short wiry hair whom Mia did not recognise, were positioned on either side of the door like guards, and the freckled, bespectacled form of Percy Weasley hovered excitedly beside the wall, a quill and a heavy scroll of parchment in his hands, apparently poised to take notes.