CXXXVIII. EMOTIONAL RANGE OF A TEASPOON

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

December arrived, bringing with it more snow and a positive avalanche of homework for the first years. The only thing Mia looked forward to was the DA meetings, and they would have to stop over the holidays, as nearly everybody in the DA would be spending time with their families. Hermione was going skiing with her parents, something that greatly amused Ron, who had never heard of Muggles strapping narrow strips of wood onto their feet to slide down mountains. Ron was going home to The Burrow. Mia and Harry endured several days of envy before Ron said, in response to Mia asking him how he was going to get home for Christmas: "But you're both coming too! Didn't I say? Mum wrote and told me to invite you weeks ago!"

Hermione rolled her eyes, but Mia's spirits soared: the thought of Christmas at The Burrow was truly wonderful, though slightly marred by Mia's guilty feeling that she would not be able to spend the holiday with Remus.

✴ ✴ ✴ ✴

Mia arrived early in the Room of Requirement for the last DA meeting before the holidays once she had finished setting up, the door creaked open andLuna Love Good entered, looking as dreamy as usual. 

"Hello," she said vaguely.

"Hey Luna," Mia said smiling. 

Within five minutes the room was full enough and Mia smiled. 

"Okay," she said, calling them all to order. "I thought this evening we should just go over the things we've done so far because it's the last meeting before the holidays and there's no point starting anything new right before a three-week break."

"We're not doing anything new?" said Zacharias Smith, in a disgruntled whisper loud enough to carry through the room. "If I'd known that, I wouldn't have come."

"We're all sorry Harry didn't tell you, then," said Fred loudly. Several people sniggered, including Mia. 

"We can practise in pairs," said Mia, a smile on her face. "We'll start with the Impediment Jinx, for ten minutes, then we can get out the cushions and try Stunning again." 

They all divided up obediently; Harry partnered with Neville as usual. The room was soon full of intermittent cries of 'Impedimenta! 'People froze for a minute or so, during which their partner would stare aimlessly around the room watching other pairs at work, then would unfreeze and take their turn at the jinx. 

Neville had improved beyond all recognition, and Mia wanted to make a point of him knowing. 

After ten minutes on the Impediment Jinx, they laid out cushions all over the floor and started practising Stunning again. Space was too confined to allow them all to work this spell at once; half the group observed the others for a while, then swapped over.