05 ; the sorting

❝ I space out all the time too

I space out all the time too.

⋅☾☼☽⋅

The door swung open at once. Hagrid led them into the castle, instructing them to head up the brilliant marble staircase that faced them. All around torches were lit, their shadows dancing against the stone walls. The ceiling above reached the heavens, too high to make out.

The first years climbed the staircase, all talking in awe; their elated voices echoed in the vast entrance hall. When they reached the top, a tall, black-haired witch in emerald-green robes greeted them, her face a bit stern.

Hermione and Liliana shared small smiles — Professor McGonagall.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," she said, eyeing the students around her.

The din stilled, and everyone stared up at her, nerves itching their skin.

"Now," she said with a small clap, "in a few moments, you will pass through these doors and join your classmates. But before you can take your seats, you must be sorted into your houses — they are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Now, while you're here, your house will be like your family. Your triumphs will earn you points; any rule-breaking, and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup —"

"Trevor!" a voice interrupted.

Liliana turned around to see Neville rushing up to the top staircase where Professor McGonagall stood. She looked down and a brown, speckled toad ribbited at her. Her nose scrunched a bit, but she smiled at the round-faced boy's elation.

Around her, people started to laugh, including the emerald eyed boy she had struck up a small friendship with. She poked him in the side and knitted her brows at him in a don't be rude kind of way.

"Sorry," he whispered at the same time Neville did to the professor he had interrupted.

"The sorting ceremony will begin momentarily," Professor McGonagall said with a severe look across the sea of students. "I shall return when we are ready for you."

She turned on her heel and walked out the hall. Liliana let out a shaky breath.

"So, it's true then, what they're saying on the train."

Everyone turned to look at the boy that had spoken. He had a smirk on his pale, pointed face, and his blonde hair shone a bit under the spitting flames.

"Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts."

The nerves shared by the first years turned into collective wonder; whispers broke out across them, and Liliana eyed Harry with a small frown, his mind a nervous mess.

"This is Crabbe and Goyle, and I'm Malfoy," the blonde boy said with a sly smile, taking a step above them all to peer down at Harry. "Draco Malfoy."

Ron snickered a bit. Draco turned away from Harry and eyed the red-head with ire.