Chapter 7: The Forest's Sacrifice

The receptionist looked up from the newspaper in her hand to glance over the man who was waiting on one of the mahogany chairs from a wide row. Her expression was stern, she took a whole minute to look into his devastated state before sighing and going back to her work. he sat there in his unironed cotton button-up dress shirt and wrinkled Oxford bag trousers. If the darkness under his eyes wasn't telling enough of his sleepless nights, his head lolling here and there whenever his eyes shut for even a moment did. the walls were painted with drawings of mythical creatures and the smell of books was mingled up in the environment.

One of the oak doors opened and a man walked out with a bundle of papers in his hand. Tristan straightened up and his eyes traveled to the receptionist who nodded a "yes". He sighed and stood up from his chair, carrying a pile of paper from the chair beside him. He took a final look at the manuscript in his hand and went inside.

Inside the small room, there were two desks where two men were working, their heads nuzzled in a bunch of papers and momentarily typing on type writers. Tristan went to one of the older men whose wrinkled face became more fatigued after he looked his way. "I told you we can't take any more-" he said in a stern tone but was cut off.
"Just one time." He pleaded
"No" the old guy was consistent
"This is the last favor I'm asking from you-"
"You say that all the time Tristan" The old guy gritted his teeth this time. the irritating sound of the typewriter stopped, and the other man was now all ears to their conversation as well.

"This...this will actually be the last time." After a pause when Tristin spoke his voice was hoarse. It made the old man look into his eyes. After a minute his eyes drifted to the manuscript. 

The Forest's Sacrifice

"I have decided to give up writing....I will go back to my hometown...I will find a job." Tristan continued. "Please, as a friend....as a son...consider this to be my last wish."

The old man sighed again, he finally picked it up. He started flipping pages, reading over some outlines. A hopeful glimmer appeared in Tristan's bloodshot eyes.

"I might consider it," the old man said with a reassuring smile. Tristan managed a smile in return and left the room after saying his goodbyes.

"You fool," he scoffed. "you will not consider it old man. You will have to publish it." He said to himself after exiting the publishing house. A grin was plastered on his face now, he started walking down the road tiptoeing and jumping, unbothered by the judgemental glances being thrown his way. He was finally free. Finally on his way to pursue his biggest dream.

The weather was just as unpredictable as his mood. the sky was covered in patches of clouds darkened in minutes. his feet stopped on a cobblestone pathway. he looked up at the sky, he felt the very first droplets of rain kiss his upturned face. he stood there while people around him were finding refuge from the rain. a soft smile graced his face as the rain drenched him to the bone.

"I will be with you soon my love." He whispered

⋆.˚ ☾ .⭒˚

Talia's voice faded into the background as she rushed after her daughters but stopped at the doorstep. She knew she couldn't chase after them, especially in that weather. She had to call for help. She rushed back inside the house and went straight to the couch in the living room and found her phone on it. with shaking hands and uneven breaths, she dialed a number.

beep beep beep. in a few seconds the line was connected.

"Hello.." a female's voice could be heard from the other side.

"I'm Talia, you said your nephew is here right...please I need a favor it's urgent." Talia managed to request her friend's help with a shallow breath and throbbing pain in her chest. She clenched her jaw and squinted her eyes, and her hand started massaging the center of her chest where the pain originated. She tried her best to listen to her friend's response but the pain was blinding all her senses. She stood and dragged her body through the corridor into her room, and she sat beside the bed. She was pale now and her whole face was covered in beads of sweat.