Chapitre Sept

The second I got home, I was tempted to just drop everything on the ground and fall into my bed. But I was far too messy to do that. Instead, I took my satchel, which I had retrieved from the annex after my goodbyes with Kianti, and placed all of its contents where they belonged. Then, I carefully filled a bucket of water and soap, placing it beside the bathtub. I decided to let the muddy clothes soak while I bathed (which took well over an hour).

I emerged smelling faintly of amberwood and some other indistinguishable scent, but it was much more preferable than mud and whatever other stenches I had managed to pick up in the past 12 days. I slipped into a clean white shirt and brown trousers, then cleaned my dirty clothes from the trip. Finally, I went into my room and collapsed onto my bed. Before I even had a minute to relax, though, I was reminded of the letter Kianti had given me.

For a moment, I was afraid that it had been in my pockets when I washed my clothes, but I found it safely placed on my bedside table. With a sigh of relief, I settled into my bed and opened it.

Dear James,

It said in a neat handwriting,

I hope you get this letter soon. You've been gone for a little longer than you told me you would be, and, unfortunately, my boat ride was moved up, so I need to leave back to school soon. I was planning on at least another week with you, so I must say, I am quite disappointed. Still, I wrote the university's address at the top, so you may send your letters overseas. Or, if you so desire, you may also visit me.

I know I only spent a short time with you, but I must say, I am eager to get to know you better. You are an interesting man, with a certain... something that draws me in. I am not sure what.

I am currently studying the nature of humanity. Our history, why it happened, and how we may move forward. I find many similarities between yourself and the great King Eliot of Ferlon (This is where I am from). He was known for being mysterious, powerful, and kind. It is also said that he was notably handsome.

I look forward to hearing from you, James. A Koh lopa set chi.

Kianti Viram

I blinked. I had no idea what that meant. Clearly, since she was from Ferlon, it had to be Ibarian. I just had no idea how to speak that, or who I could learn it from. Ferlon was almost completely across the world. Hardly anyone from there traveled to this side of the world. The only reason Kianti did was because of her family.

As I read Kianti's letter, a mix of emotions washed over me—disappointment that our time together had been cut short, eagerness to learn more about her, and a touch of confusion at the unfamiliar phrase she had ended with. A Koh lopa set chi. It sounded poetic, but its meaning eluded me entirely.

Her mention of studying the nature of humanity intrigued me. It seemed we shared a common interest in unraveling the complexities of human behavior and history. Perhaps it was one of the things that drew us together, this shared curiosity about the world and its inhabitants.

But amidst the flurry of thoughts swirling in my mind, one thing was clear: I didn't want to lose touch with Kianti. Despite the distance between us and the uncertainties of our futures, there was a connection between us that I couldn't ignore.

Determined to maintain our correspondence, I carefully folded the letter and tucked it away in a drawer beside my bed, where I knew I could easily access it whenever I needed a reminder of her presence.

Then, with a sense of purpose burning bright within me, I made a mental note to find someone who could translate the Ibarian phrase for me. I wasn't one to shy away from challenges, and learning a new language seemed like a fitting pursuit if it meant deepening my connection with Kianti.

I made my way to my desk, picking up a parchment and quill with the intent to write a response, but to no avail.

I sat at my desk for quite some time, staring blankly at the parchment before me. The quill in my hand felt heavy, as if weighted down by the weight of my thoughts. How could I possibly put into words the jumble of emotions swirling within me?

With a sigh, I dipped the quill in ink and began to write, but the words felt stiff and forced, lacking the sincerity I longed to convey. I crumpled up the paper in frustration, feeling like a failure.

For hours, I grappled with the page, each attempt falling short of capturing the depth of my feelings for Kianti. The blankness mocked me, a stark reminder of my inability to articulate what I truly wanted to say.

I leaned back in my chair, running a hand through my hair in frustration. How could I express the longing, the uncertainty, the fear, and the overwhelming desire that consumed me whenever I thought of her all at once? How could I share my curiosity at our different ways of life, so far from one another?

But despite the frustration, I knew I couldn't give up. Kianti deserved to know how much she meant to me, and I would find a way to put it into words, no matter how long it took.

Finally, I decided to put the quill down. It had been a long few days, and I was eager to get rest. I had at least a few days before Kianti would even be back home, so I could bear to wait a short while to prepare a better letter.

As the evening drew to a close and fatigue finally began to catch up with me, I settled into bed with a renewed sense of hope and anticipation. Whatever the future held in store for me, one thing was certain: Kianti Viram had become an unexpected beacon of light in my life, and I was eager to see where our journey would take us next.