A Loss For Words

The world is a bad place, but I'm sure we all know that. But it's even worse when you live in a place like me. North Florida was where we moved back when I was around 7, as we had grandparents and other family there that my mom wanted to be able to see. My dad, at the time, needed to find a job, and he'd soon settle for a job at the nearby Nestlē water bottle factory.

We lived in a trailer home, and our mailboxes were on the other side of the road. I wouldn't say our
mailboxes, more like the rest of our many neighbors mailboxes who were most likely in the same situation. The house wasn't that bad, it had 2 bathrooms, 2 bedrooms, and a kitchen that merged into the living room area. My mom wanted to renovate it, but we didn't have the money. So, she just stuck with buying new furniture.

Soon enough, we'd go back-to-school shopping, and I picked out lots of clothes and supplies needed for the 8th grade. I was nervous, of course, but I tried to drown out those thoughts and focus on the present. When we got home, my dad was drinking cheap booze and smoking a cigarette on the couch. Like always, he complained about how these "dirty liberals" were always ruining America and that the Chinese would attack us in no time. He blames everything on people from the westernmost countries, specifically in Eurasia. My mom would always ignore him and sometimes even shut off the TV and tell him to take a break.

When I went to my room, I unpacked boxes and put my supplies in my backpack, Dad called me into the kitchen for dinner. It was pot roast, which was okay. Not the best, but it will suffice. My dad and mom, like always, were complaining about the government and how they weren't southern enough like us South Floridians. We just moved and they're already labeling themselves. Great. After dinner, my dad yelled at me to come into the living room to pledge allegiance to the flag. I ignored him and pretended I was asleep, but what I didn't expect was for him to pull me out of bed and force me to do so. I knew they were loyal to America, but their loyalty left me at a loss for words.